Author Topic: Thompson Family, Burwash  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Cactus18

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thompson Family, Burwash
« on: Wednesday 02 February 11 07:58 GMT (UK) »
ShaunJ & Swebby were extremely helpful in resolving several erroneous assumptions I had made concerning the Cox family history for which I am very thankful.
Can they or someone else now help me with the earlier family history of Matilda Thompson who married my great grandfather Alfred Cox in1844. I know Matilda’s parents were William Thompson & Elizabeth who I believe married about 1812, Burwash. Elizabeth was born Lambeth, London circa 1792. What was her maiden name and who were her parents? Had William, born Burwash circa 1776, been married earlier, possibly to Harriot? Given the difference in age between William & Elizabeth is this a possibility? If so, is Priscilla (Thompson) died 21 March 1840, aged 30 and buried in St.Bartholomew’s church yard, Burwash the daughter of an earlier marriage,or was she too early for baptism?

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thompson Family, Burwash
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I can't see a marriage in Burwash in or near 1812 on the Sussex Marriage Index.  Where did you get your information?
Andrea

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I found a Matilda Thompsom baptised at Burwash 15 Dec 1818,born 16 Jul 1818 but Mum & Dad were William & Harriet.

The only marriage i could find on the SMI for a William marrying at Burwash was to Mary Skinner,12 Mar 1795

Kind Regards
omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Cactus18

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 February 11 06:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your replies. The basis for my assuming the parents of Matilda Thompson were William Thompson & Elizabeth is the marriage certificate for her & Alfred Cox (1844) named her father as William Thompson,bricklayer. this together with Matilda being  :)listed with the family of William in the 1841 census suggested her parents were indeed William & Eliza (in the 1851 census she becomes Elizabeth and her age is more in keeping with a birth in 1792).

However I now have serious doubts about my reasoning following Omega naming William & Harriet as her parents. If this is correct i have found 4 other children from this union including Priscilla baptised 25 October, 1807. What do you think?

Offline woodyt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 December 15 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi, If you are still looking for information on the Thompson family of Burwash I think I can fill in some blanks for you.  William Thompson born 1774 married Mary Skinner 12.3.1795. After her death he married Elizabeth (Eliza ) Wood 5.7.24 (or in 1820 my notes a mess here) they had 6 children Frances, b.1821 . Matilda, b.1821. Elizabeth ( eliza ) b.1825. James, b.1827 ( my ancestor ). Eliza Lucy, b.1830. Helen Charlotte, b.1832..          William and Elizabeth were married at St Georges in the East , Tower Hamlets.     Elizabeth Wood  father James and mother Susanna . No dates or other info on these. I hope this helps.  Regards Ian

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 December 15 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome,
Cactus18 has not been on rootschat for some time.  They should get a notification of your answer if their email address has not changed.  If you reply to this then you should be able to try sending a personal message.  You click on the green scroll under their user name.  It does all depend on the email address though.  Let us hope it is still active.