Author Topic: Who was 'Mrs GURR & child' (COMPLETE)  (Read 20149 times)

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
Re: Who was 'Mrs GURR & child'
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Jane/Jean Ann's two marriages are listed in the Old Bible Challenge, bj. There's also a photo of her, and an article from Trove Newspapers.

I haven't managed to find a death or marriage for Matilda Salina Gurr either, I'm afraid. If I do, I'll let you know.

Here's the link to the newspaper clipping you can't read, though I'm afraid the original is not much better.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0br2/

Oh.....and I'm Dee by the way.....  ;)  :D   :D
Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bigjon000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Dee,

Forgive me, Its me age! its me age!

And, if I'd read your very interesting Old Bible Challenge BEFORE replying I would have noted the information about Jane too.  :-[ :-[

bj
Roberts, Thorpe, Thomas, Mead, Featherstone, Hagan, Hawke

Offline bigjon000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dee,

by way of penance may I respectfully submit this may be what the newspaper article says

Mr. William Gurr, one of the oldest and best known tradesmen of Saddleworth has removed from our midst. After a residence here of nearly 35 years he has retired from business and removed to one of the suburbs of Adelaide. Mr. Gurr has been intimately connected with many public as well as religious bodies during his long residence here. He has been on the institute committee in various capacities, for several years president; has been a prominent Oddfellow and Forester, and has evinced a deep interest in cricket. In connection with the Baptist church Mr. Gurr has been a lay preacher for 30 years, while Miss Gurr has been a Sunday school teacher and member of the choir for a long time. On Wednesday evening a meeting of the congregation of the Baptist church was held to bid farewell to Mr. Gurr and Miss Gurr. The Rev. G. F. Smith, pastor of the church, presided over a good attendance. Speeches expressive of good feeling and regret at losing such respected members of the church were made by the Chairman, Messrs. T. Jones, T. Mill, F. Coleman, W. G. Roberts, and S. Olley. A presentation was made to the departing guests during the evening.

bj
Roberts, Thorpe, Thomas, Mead, Featherstone, Hagan, Hawke

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Not to worry, bj.....you're talking to the person who forgot to turn off 3 lights last night!  ;D   ;D   ;D

The lady who has the photo of Jean Ann BOX thinks she might be able to get one of William Gurr for you.

Dee   :)

Added......and thankyou for typing up that article.....that's brilliant!    :D

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi bj

I have tried to piece together the GURR family in SA. You may already know much of this but the following may be of benefit to other researchers.

In summary, George and second wife and their children, along with one son from the first wife, arrived as assisted immigrants on the Sultana 1850.
http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/sultana1850.htm

The Biographical Index of SA names all sons of George and his first wife.
GURR George b: 3.3.1789 SSX ENG d: 19.5.1874 Adelaide SA bd: WTC
arr: 1850 SULTANA
occ: Blacksmith res: Adelaide
m: (1/2) unknown
ch: John (c1814-1855'), Caleb, Jas (c1818-), Joshua (1818-1910), Wm, Joseph (c1823-1887), Benjamin (c1825-1873)
m: (2/2) Ann b: 1820 d: 21.2.1882 Adelaide SA
ch: Valentine (1841-1915), Thos (1843-1869), Keturah (1844-1906), Victoria (1845-), Albt (1846-), Anne (1847-), Geo (1849-), Sultan Henry (1850-1919), Eliz M. (1852-), Sarah (1854-), Emily (1856-), David (1858-)

BMDs and BISA show four of the older sons, John, Joshua, William and Joseph, in SA prior to 1850. And James arrived in 1858.

John and wife Ann, and Joshua arrived together,
http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1839Moffatt.htm

GURR Mr & Mrs
http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1845Symmetry.gif
William and Kezia married by March 1845, the ship sailed in June, and their first child was born in SA April 1846.

GURR Mr
http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1847Antilla.gif
I could not see any unrelated GURR families in SA at this time so I would think this was Joseph.

GURR John par: Geo and 1st wife b: c1814 d. 8 Nov 1855
Relative: Joseph GURR (PR)
occ: Carpenter, Joiner res: Adelaide rel: C/E
m: Ann WIMSHURST
Child born in SA 12 Jan 1840

GURR James par: Geo and 1st wife b: c1818 Ssx ENG
arr: 1858 GENERAL HEWETT occ: Labourer
m: Lucy RELF b: c1821
ch: Geo (c1855-), Benjamin (c1857-)
http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/generalhewett1858.htm

GURR Joshua par: Geo and 1st wife b: 11.3.1818 Ssx ENG d: 9.11.1910 Kensington SA bd: WTC
arr: 1839 MOFFATT occ: Blacksmith, Ironmonger res: Beulah Pk, Nth Kensington rel: Prot
m: 25.7.1845 North Adelaide SA Jean  nee OGILVIE

WILLIAM c 1821
GURR William par: (Geo and 1st wife) res: Thebarton
m: Keziah nee SAYERS

GURR Joseph par: Geo and 1st wife b: c1823 ENG d: 14.2.1887 bd: Kapunda SA
res: Kapunda rel: Bapt
m: 11.11.1850 Adelaide SA Mary nee ROBERTS b: c1820 d: 1.6.1913 Kensington Pk SA

It seems there was no other MR GURR waiting for the arrival of a wife and child unless he was the man who arrived in 1847.   But then there would be no record for the arrival of Joseph ???

Essie

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dee,

by way of penance may I respectfully submit this may be what the newspaper article says

Mr. William Gurr, one of the oldest and best known tradesmen of Saddleworth has removed from our midst. After a residence here of nearly 35 years he has retired from business and removed to one of the suburbs of Adelaide. Mr. Gurr has been intimately connected with many public as well as religious bodies during his long residence here. He has been on the institute committee in various capacities, for several years president; has been a prominent Oddfellow and Forester, and has evinced a deep interest in cricket. In connection with the Baptist church Mr. Gurr has been a lay preacher for 30 years, while Miss Gurr has been a Sunday school teacher and member of the choir for a long time. On Wednesday evening a meeting of the congregation of the Baptist church was held to bid farewell to Mr. Gurr and Miss Gurr. The Rev. G. F. Smith, pastor of the church, presided over a good attendance. Speeches expressive of good feeling and regret at losing such respected members of the church were made by the Chairman, Messrs. T. Jones, T. Mill, F. Coleman, W. G. Roberts, and S. Olley. A presentation was made to the departing guests during the evening.

bj

I wonder if that was Matilda Salina, bj.........   ???

Good one, Essie.......that could be very helpful to Physio of The Old Bible Challenge.   :D

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 11:02 GMT (UK) »
I just come on-line and was about to say it wasnt me that posted that Bible Challenge etc.
But am glad to see its all sorted :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 11:58 GMT (UK) »

I haven't found a marriage for Matilda Salina Gurr yet. There don't appear to be any children born to her in SA and I haven't found a death record.

I haven't managed to find a death or marriage for Matilda Salina Gurr either, I'm afraid. If I do, I'll let you know.

Matilda's marriage & death in NSW  :)

MAGRATH  William  m. GURR Matilda S  ALBURY 1905 #8876

MAGRATH  Matilda Salina  d. 1948  WAGGA WAGGA #21916
Father: WILLIAM 
Mother: UNKNOWN     

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 12:57 GMT (UK) »

Matilda Salina GURR married William Herbert MAGRATH widower of her elder sister Elizabeth GURR.

The following comes courtesy of a MAGRATH family member  :)

William Herbert Magrath married Elizabeth Gurr, daughter of William Gurr and Keziah Rayers on 14 Nov 1877 at Saddleworth, SA.

At this time he was employed as a Blacksmith. William, Elizabeth Gurr and their five children moved from Marrabel in SA to the Bunyip, Kaniva District in Victoria between 1885 and 1887.

It appears he worked as a farm labourer at this stage before acquiring land.

By 1891-92 William's postal details read-" farmer, Sandsmere".

* James Leslie was born at Bunyip in 1887.
* Leslie Wesley George was born at Bunyip in 1889.
* Alfred John was born at Bunyip in 1891.
* Percival Olis was born at Bunyip in 1893.

The family moved on to Grong Grong in N.S.W. before their next child, Amy Rhoda was born at Grong Grong in 1894.

By 1902 William was established as a blacksmith, at Brocklesby, having come from South Australia and Victoria with his wife and large family. The business known as Brocklesby Blacksmith & Wheelwright Establishment was held by the Magrath family until horses were phased out.

From the ALBURY BANNER, March 1st 1902:
"Mrs Magrath, wife of the blacksmith at Brocklesby died last Sunday after a long illness, death coming as a great relief. She was buried on Sunday and a large procession followed to the Goombargarra Cemetry. The Rev. Middleton will preach a sermon at Brocklesby church next Sunday at 3.00 pm."

After Elizabeth died of breast cancer on March 1st 1902, he married Matilda Selina Gurr, the younger sister of his former wife, Elizabeth, daughter of William Gurr and Keziah Rayers (322), on 2 Nov 1905 at the Methodist Parsonage, Albury.