Author Topic: searching for irish links,  (Read 2317 times)

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
searching for irish links,
« on: Saturday 05 February 11 10:00 GMT (UK) »
hello all, i am trying to find a ancestor from monaghan. and wonder what if any good sites there are to try? i have done pretty well with all my uk family. but allthough there seems to be lots of irish sites, i find them not very helpful. my ancestor  born circa 1794, james donohue, spellings differ. was catholic, and that seems to make things harder! any hints or info on sites would be great. rob . 
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: searching for irish links,
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 February 11 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Here's a link to your previous Donohue thread on Monaghan board-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,506399.0.html

The problem with finding information is not James Donohue's religion but the time period. The dates you need are before the start of civil registration so you need to search for church records (if they exist that early). To do so you need to have a location (parish- civil or R.C. parish- if not actual townland).

There are lots of links in Monaghan Resources at the top of this board but it might help if you read these two topics first to get a better understanding of Irish research- Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!