Author Topic: Nelson  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Kasn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nelson
« on: Saturday 05 February 11 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for some links for the Nelson family from Belfast?

This is the information I have.

Samuel Banks Nelson b. July? of 1866/67/68?
He was Dr. Nelson and attended Assemblys College in Belfast. He moves to New Jersey,USA. Then to Canada.

I am looking for sibling and parent information.

I believe he was married 2 times. Once to a Jean? and Once to a Margaret. His first wife died and he then remaired. I am not sure of which wife came first.

Thanks so much,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nelson
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 February 11 16:54 GMT (UK) »
There's plenty of information available but it helps if you search in a logical manner.

Here's Samuel B. Nelson in 1910 U.S. census living in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He's 42 years old, came to U.S. in 1891 and wife's name is Jean. Eldest child, Samuel B., age 13 was born in Pennsylvania. Next one, Henry F. age 12, born Rhode Island and third son, James. A. age 7, born New York.

1900 U.S. Census finds Rev. Samuel B. Nelson living in New York State and birthdate listed as July 1867. Wife Ashley J P Nelson also born in Ireland but she arrived in U.S. 1871 so likely came with her family (it's possible the J in her name is for Jean/Jane).

There's also a record on www.ellisisland.org for Samuel B. Nelson, age 36, clergyman, returning to the U.S. 29 June 1905 on Oceanic but because he was a U.S. citizen details of U.K. address are not shown.

If the July 1867 birthdate is correct then his birth should have been registered but it'll be difficult to know if you've the correct record without another piece of evidence (father's name for example) to confirm this.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 February 11 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    There is also a record of a Samuel Banks Nelson entering Campbell College, Belfast, in Sept 1911. He was born on 13 Jul 1896 to the Rev. S. Banks Nelson of Park Avenue, Minneapolis.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 February 11 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Googling "Samuel Banks Nelson" (with the quotes) brings up a school record for a Samuel Banks Nelson, son of Rev S Banks Nelson, with another brother Henry Freas Nelson. The date is Sept 1911 but based on the names and occupation of father and the information below looks like Rev. Samuel B. Nelson sent his sons to school in Ireland.
Added- this is the Campbell College entry kingskerswell found

This thread gives details of Samuel Banks Nelson, Jr. born Philadelphia and brother Henry Freas Nelson.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 February 11 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    Yes, I have an entry to Campbell College of Henry Freas Nelson in Sept 1911. He was born on 18 Mar 1898 to the Rev Samuel Banks Nelson still in Minneapolis. However there is no record of a James A. Nelson at the college.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 February 11 17:26 GMT (UK) »
If Samuel Banks Nelson had had a congregation in Ireland (he didn't) then there are church records here that might give more details about his background. However, it might be worth contacting the Presbyterian Historical Society in Belfast (they've now a librarian (she's very nice and very helpful) and new location) to see if they've records of students for the ministry.
http://www.presbyterianhistoryireland.com/index.php?id=contact

Offline Kasn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 February 11 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Wow!!! Thank you guys soooo much! I will definitely contact the historical place and see what they can tell me. My dad is only aware of his fathers name but does not know what his fathers brothers name is - so I can say for sure that those are the right people until I search some more.

I realllllyyyyy appreciate all your help.
I was able to find out that he was a minister at Knox Presbyterian Church (which burned down) in Hamilton, Ontario. So contacting the presbyterian place you mentioned in belfast might be my best route!

I'll keep you posted and see if I can find more information and let you know! You guys seem to have the best resources so far!!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 February 11 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Rev. Samuel Banks Nelson was minister quite a few places- just google his name as I suggested.

Offline Kasn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 February 11 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Blimey! I could hug you guys!! I've done a bit of digging and my dad had a book of the cambell college register and the information you guys gave me turns out to be the right person.

Thank you so much for your information!
You've been a big help!