Author Topic: BROGAN Francis  (Read 3796 times)

Offline Noandra

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BROGAN Francis
« on: Sunday 06 February 11 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am new to finding ancestors in Ireland and would like some help, please.

I am looking for more information on the parents of Francis BROGAN b 1843 Ireland (could be County Meath - I found this info in a family tree not sure if correct).
He married Mary Ellen SULLIVAN also from Ireland (don't know where). Marriage took place in Australia 1862, Sydney, New South Wales. (confirmed by NSW BMD records)
He died on 22-11-1907 at Waverley, NSW.

Francis's parents names were Daniel Brogan and Ann Mallon (info obtained from Ancestry Death records for Francis Brogan), this is all the details I have on Francis's parents.

Can someone help?

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BROGAN Francis
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 February 11 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    Civil Registration of births started in 1864 in Ireland so you will have to depend on church records where these exist. To find these you need to know his religion and the locality where he was born.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 February 11 09:56 GMT (UK) »
To find Irish ancestors for such an early period you need to see if church records exist.
Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline johnjensen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Using the advanced search in the County Meath section of
www.rootsireland.ie
I can see they have the wedding record for Daniel Brogan and Ann Mallon in 1834.  You can buy it online for €5.

I cant see a baptism record for a Francis with a fathers name of Dan or Daniel.  The records dont have 100% of all events by a long way.  But the wedding is a good result.

Offline johnjensen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 13:39 GMT (UK) »
On www.rootsireland.ie you will also see baptisms for 4 other children of Daniel and Ann ie Mary 1836, Patrick 1844, Daniel 1846 and Bridget 1848.  Patrick and Mary's are in Trim RC parish. Havent foundo the parish for the others yet but you'll see all that if you buy them.

Offline Noandra

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Johnjensen, Thanks for your help any information is greatly appreciated. I joined rootsireland but it is hard to get much info without paying, I am in Aust and have doubts about currency exchange & credit information when I am not sure what I am getting.
You have done well finding so much. The wedding dates seem right, but there does not seem to be a Francis yet.

Offline Noandra

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi, is there any chance you can find anything on Francis Brogan's wife Mary Ellen Sullivan born 1841, Ireland, parents Patrick Sullivan and Ellen Connor. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi, is there any chance you can find anything on Francis Brogan's wife Mary Ellen Sullivan born 1841, Ireland, parents Patrick Sullivan and Ellen Connor. Any help would be appreciated.

you really need to know a location, ideally a parish, to start a search for parish records, as both surnames are relatively common in Ireland. Also remember that RootsIreland does not have records for every county in Ireland and that not all parishes have records for the dates you need.

To find parish records for some of the counties (or parts of counties) not covered by RootsIreland you can try www.irishgenealogy.ie

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline johnjensen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 22:49 GMT (UK) »

Yes, Shane has given you the best link there as it covers County Kerry which is by far the most likely area with two names like that.  Unfortunately I can immediately see at least 4 couples of those exact names in Kerry around the right time (though no birth/baptism details for a Mary Ellen around 1841).  You'll need more leads from wherever you can get them.  Best of luck.