Author Topic: Served with the Royal Navy  (Read 1157 times)

Offline keith77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Served with the Royal Navy
« on: Sunday 06 February 11 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I'm looking for help/information about my Grandad His name was Peter Gibson Grant Clark born 1929 in Moffat Scotland, he joined the navy when he was 14 after lying about his age i believe he was a signaller as he emigrated to Rhodesia and later became RSM of the Rhodesian signal regiment.
I'm am wanting to know what ship he was with and any futher information
many thanks an ex kings royal hussar.

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Served with the Royal Navy
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 February 11 20:16 GMT (UK) »
hi
as far as your grandads navy record goes as he was in the service presumably in ww2 you will have to send off for them they will cost £30 i,m presuming both he and your grandmother have passed otherwise they would be able to get them for nothing , if you send for them as next of kin you will also need a death cert for him if you go to www.veterans-uk.info  from there you can download the necessary forms .
regarding his going to rhodesia if he emigrated at the moment i can,t look it up as the site is closed for maintenance 

hope this helps
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline keith77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 February 11 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trevor,

Much appreciated, sadly both my grandparents have passed away and died in Zimbabwe and all their processions were taken by the state my mum tried a solicitor but had no joy.

I have spoken to my mum with regards to his service but she didn't really have much information and all she new was that he was a signaller, when he emigrated to Rhodesia he joined the Rhodesian Signals Corps and retired as Warrant Officer First Class(RSM), He fought in the Bush war along with my dad and uncles.
i will try and have a look at the records as would like to see what ship he served on.
many thanks Keith

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 February 11 09:57 GMT (UK) »
hello keith
yes all to common an accurance nowadays under such an evil regime , i know of a family put in the same position only they had everything confiscated and then were kicked out of the country . anyway onwards i,ve now got the emigration record for peter and family here goes ,
peter gibson age 29 birth date 18 april 1928
emigration date 5 dec 1957 left southampton for the cape s africa
occupation radio mechanic
his wife doreen birth date 16 oct 1936
son robert birth date 13 dec 1956
last address 1, brune lane, rowner ,gosport
as i say for £30 you can have his service record , but i,ve no idea what the process is for getting a death cert from zimbabwe , it may be worth your while getting in touch with the veterans site and asking them if they know wether under the circumstances there,s a way round that so you can get them without a death cert .
best of luck with your quest
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk