Author Topic: Messina Medal  (Read 1407 times)

Offline psusennes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Messina Medal
« on: Sunday 06 February 11 22:51 GMT (UK) »
This is a million to one shot: In 1908 there was an earthquake in Messina, Sicily, 70,000+ were killed. The British Navy went to the rescue along with other nations. My Grandfather Alfred Cresdee was on HMS Lancaster an armoured cruiser that was sent to help. After the rescue was finished the then King of Italy issued madals to many that had taken part. My grandfather was very proud of his medal and carried it with him in civilian life, unfortunately he had his pocket picked in 1934 and the medal was taken. My request is if anyone comes across it at boot sale or in a junk shop please let me know.
I told you it was a million to one shot.
Thanks for reading this.
The medal is silver, the ribbon has two green stripes and three whithe stripes.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Messina Medal
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 February 11 10:01 GMT (UK) »
If you post a question on the British Medal Forum someone will give you a list of links to sites were you can post requests for information about lost medals. Ask for free ones as some will charge.

In the meantime was he related to this man? - http://www.dnw.co.uk/medals/auctionarchive/searchcataloguearchive/itemdetail.lasso?itemid=55017

Ken

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Messina Medal
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 February 11 10:27 GMT (UK) »
The Messina Earthquake medal was issued unnamed. As such, even if someone comes across one (assuming it's not associated with a group with other medals) it will be anonymous, ie no way to link it with a specific recipient.

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishguide/colonial/messina_earthquake_medal_1908.htm

The flip side of that is that if you want a replacement for your grandfather's medal, then I'd suggest simply buying one from a medal dealer.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals