Author Topic: Search for Campbell-more clues  (Read 3159 times)

Offline alee65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Search for Campbell-more clues
« on: Monday 17 January 11 20:40 GMT (UK) »
A photo has surfaced that answers and confirms some family “mysteries”, however, it is not known where this gravestone is located. An image of this is attached.  I feel sure it is in County Armagh, and close to Mullagbrack, Aughantaraghan or even Loughgilly

Any one that can indicate where this stone is, or may be, please let me know.   One dilemma is that this stone indicates that John Campbell lived in Aughantaraghan, however a son of his lists on his stone,  in the US, that he was a native of Mullagbrack Parish.

The inscription reads:
                   Erected
             By John Campbell
Of new Orleans America in Memory
           of  his beloved Father
John Campbell of Aughantaraghan
  who departed this life 24th March
            1835  Aged 67 years

Also Bridget Campbell wife of
The deceased who departed this
life 21 Oct 1854 Aged 65 years.

As you visit grave yards, please keep his info in mind, and help me find it! Thanks ahead of time,   Al,   
           Allen Texas, USA

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help on a Grave Location (photo attached)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought, in addition to rootschat members, some members at Poyntzpass and District Local History Society http://www.poyntzpass.co.uk/index.htm may be best placed to suggest a possible location of the headstone.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline norh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Allen,
I visited the following graveyards today in search of your photographed headstone but unfortunately could not locate it:-

Mullaghbrack RC chapel
Mullaghbrack Church of Ireland
Loughgilly C of I
Poyntzpass RC chapel
Poyntzpass C of I
Poyntzpass Presbyterian and Poyntzpass RC chapel
Ballymore & Mullaghbrack parish chapel.

How old is the photo and is it likely that the grave surround is still standing? I just did a quick scan of each graveyard thinking the surround would stand out. But later it dawned on me that perhaps it had collapsed due to old age! Following enquiries I was given a phone number for a local historian in the Poyntzpass area and will update you if any more information becomes available. If you can add any more information that might help with the search please do so. Meantime Good luck.

Noreen

Offline alee65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Noreen, thank you so much for your interest.  Unfortunately, this photo just "showed" up, i.e. found, and I suspect it is very old.  While it has answered some questions, it sure would be nice to know where it is!  If I can think of any way to put some kind of date on it, I will let you know.

I suspect the stone was erected in roughly the 1860s, so it will be quite weathered today!

Again, thanks!
Al

Offline alee65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Search for Campbell-more clues
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 19:46 GMT (UK) »
I’ve found a few more clues to my search for John Campbell and his wife Bridget. I recently entered a query with a  grave stone photograph searching for what cemetery this stone was in.  See : Need Help on a Grave Location (photo attached)              alee65

At this time, I feel the photo was taken when the stone was fairly “new”, and that the stone could be rather weathered by now. I also think the stone was initially placed before Bridget died, which was 1854, with her information added later.

Possibly Bridget’s maiden name  was  McCallister.  John was a pensioned British Army retiree, and it appears he married and started a family after he retired, 1814.  One son has on his gravestone “native of the Parish of Mullabrack.

There were five of his sons known to come to America, recently know now of  one daughter. I wonder if there are other relatives still in the area.

Anyone that can give me some insight or pointers to find where in Armagh this family was in the mid 1800s would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time----Al Lee