Author Topic: Copland - Montrose and Farnell  (Read 1809 times)

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Copland - Montrose and Farnell
« on: Thursday 10 February 11 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone researching the Copland/Coupland family who were based in Montrose and Farnell at the end of the 1700s and early 1800s?

I’m interested in James Copland, master of the sloop ‘Two Brother’s of Montrose’, who died in 1823 in Montrose. His last will and testament mentions a sister, Agnes, married to Robert Lindsay, a tailor in Montrose (they were married 1795 in Montrose), another sister, Ann, widow of David Brechin (they were married in 1794 in Farnell) and a half sister, Jean.

Who were their parents? Where were the children born? I am unable to locate any conclusive information from the local OPRs.

Was Agnes Copland married first to an Andrew Souter/Soutter in Farnell in 1789?

Are these Coplands related to the Coplands of Myerstone/Rescobie some of whom are buried in Tannadice churchyard?

The name Copland seems rare for Angus at this time, it is more common in Aberdeenshire and Dumfries.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Copland - Montrose and Farnell
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 February 11 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have Copland in my family tree, but from around Aberdeen areas.
Mary Agnes Hall married a Moses Copland

marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet