Author Topic: East Street Walworth, Newington  (Read 5125 times)

Offline ugo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
East Street Walworth, Newington
« on: Sunday 13 February 11 16:44 GMT (UK) »

My great aunt gave 141 East Street  Walworth, as  an address in 1920, on her way back from Canada.

I thought I would look it up while I was at the LMA, Could not find it. every number but, then I tried the census, its on the 1881 not any where esle  did any thing happen to it.

Offline stewart_M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: East Street Walworth, Newington
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 February 11 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Ugo

Log on to a Facebook group called Now and Then Walworth.  It has 1000's of old Walworth photos and hundreds of regular contributors who have a wealth of knowledge on everything to do with Walworth past and present.  I use it regularly and it's probably one of the best internet places to visit for info on Walworth.

Stewart

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 February 11 20:54 GMT (UK) »
East Street is now in Walworth, SE17, it runs from the Walworth Road right through to The Old Kent Road, making it a very long road.   You can also find it listed as Camberwell in some older census returns and other records.

After the war and well into the 1960's there was a lot of demolition of old properties and there are a lot of  60's and 70's estates/flats now, many of which are at the Old Kent Road end, including the Aylesbury Estate.  In fact apart from some older flats and a few houses at the Old Kent Road end, there are very few houses left.

Do log on to the website mentioned, it is very good.

Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline ugo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 February 11 22:08 GMT (UK) »

Thanks, I will take a look.