Author Topic: COMPLETED Dating an old Ulster photograph - no restoration please  (Read 1642 times)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Dating an old Ulster photograph - no restoration please
« on: Monday 14 February 11 05:31 GMT (UK) »
I would love it if someone would date this photograph (my thoughts are possibly 1860s or 1870s).  Also could someone estimate the age of the boy.  It comes from my Grandmother's album, she was born in 1874 and came to New Zealand in 1885.  My mother thought it is family as the lady resembled her aunt, my grandmother's sister (it isn't my grandmother's sister though as she was born in 1884). 

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
Re: Dating an old Ulster photograph - no restoration please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 February 11 06:13 GMT (UK) »
Well....we might be able to pin this down fairly closely, as long as the lady was up-to-the-minute with fashion. And ladies did try to keep up, especially when having their photo taken, as it was an "occasion".

Ladies started styling their hair off the ears in about 1865. Prior to that the ears were covered. And the wide hoop crinolines under the skirt became unfashionable in about 1868. Since this lady's hair is off the ears and she is still wearing the big crinoline, I think we can put this photo between about 1865 and 1868.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 February 11 06:26 GMT (UK) »
China
How long have you been studying old time fashions?  I find your observations on these things absolutely incredible - in the best of ways, I mean  :D  :D
I've marvelled at your ability to pinpoint these things, in many a post!

WRT the boy's age, judging by his height and mode of dress I'd guess about 8 or 10.
Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline SherlockBones

• RootsChat Veteran
  • today is the beginning of the future of yesterday
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 February 11 06:43 GMT (UK) »
China
How long have you been studying old time fashions?  I find your observations on these things absolutely incredible - in the best of ways, I mean  :D  :D
Dawn M

Been meaning to ask the same question myself.

Jon
AUSTRALIA WAS ALWAYS DESTINED TO BE A GREAT COUNTRY. AFTER ALL WE HAD THE WORLD'S BEST JUDGES SELECTING ITS INHABITANTS.

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 February 11 06:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawn & Jon, I guess I've been enjoying dating fashions for a few years here on Rootschat...I find it fascinating and I'm always learning something. The old dresses are elegant and beautiful and I'm always amazed at the skill of the dressmakers.

Still, ladies paid a price...their undergarments were horrendous things that they had to begin wearing at an age when I was climbing trees :D

I'm not the only dater, of course. Jim1 is extremely knowledgeable as are Prue and Gadget and a few others, and then there is Old Rowley who is a dating encyclopedia. Our chief guru ;D

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 February 11 10:30 GMT (UK) »
 :) I totally agree!!   I love watching them all come together as well!  Fascinating!  I love watching the restores as well - and I have been on the receiving end of some great worK!  But I still can't keep my nose out of this board - it's amazing.  Your knowledge and skills are a gift!!

Jeanne  :) :)
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 February 11 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Yes Jeanne they sure are.
And it's so amazing that people can get this information so quickly, from an obvious expert, for free!
Keep delighting us, China!
Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everybody for your help. It all goes into the unsorted, as yet, jigsaw puzzle of dates etc about the family in Northern ireland.