Author Topic: Napoleonic Wars Women  (Read 2198 times)

Offline atticus

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Napoleonic Wars Women
« on: Monday 14 February 11 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have a death recorded in my family bible saying one of my ancestors died in Egypt in 1801 Betty Tattersall. Betty was married to a James Tattersall. The only reason I can guess at why she would have been in Egypt was the Napoleonic War as there was a campaign there at the time. Reading up on it it appears that some British women went with their husbands. Is this true? I have no idea if James was a soldier or not.  I do not know their social standing but their daughter married a weaver.  At the time of Betty's death she had a three year old. Any pointers on how I could find out if James did fight in the war or if Betty would have been aloud to go with him please. Would there be records of people who died in Egypt at the time?

Thank you Atticus
Liverpool Taggart, Dowd, Lees, McClintock, Chadwick, Unsworth and Halsll

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Napoleonic Wars Women
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 February 11 13:42 GMT (UK) »
The army did not record soldier's wives until c70 years later. Although you could try the regimental/overseas BMDs on sites such as Findmypast. These started before civil registration.

Do you know James' place and approximate year of birth? A man of that name served with the 20th Regiment - they were in Egypt. He was born in Lancashire c1771.

There were about 40 other regiments there.

Ken

Offline atticus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 February 11 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ken
James was born in 1777, I do not where he was born but I do know his daughter was born in Rochdale. I  have a subscription to Ancestry I will check to see if they have the records.

Thank you

Offline atticus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 February 11 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Sorry forgot to ask. Where did you find the information about serving with the 20 Regiment.

Thank you Atticus

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 February 11 16:22 GMT (UK) »
I am bookmarking this as it may give me the clue I need to overcome a brickwall regarding the name of the father of my 2XGGF who since he served in the Somerset Militia in the 1790s and a possible baptism of an illegitimate child at Henstridge Somerset in 1777 seemed to fit the criteria. I was most concerned when an army pension document from Kilmainham dated 1811 said he had been born in York. The only thing I have been able to come up with to "square the circle" was the possibility that his mother might have been a camp follower in the 1770s. Seems to fit what I know about her, at least 7 illegitimate children, cedrtainly with more than one father.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 February 11 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Where did you find the information about serving with the 20 Regiment.

It's on a microfilm in Kew - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=-6043404&CATLN=7&Highlight=%2CJAMES%2CTATTERSALL&accessmethod=0

The parish of birth must be a typo.

Ken

Offline atticus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 February 11 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ken. If he was a soldier he would have also been based around this country as well I suppose. I say that because the Bible has the dates of two of his sons  baptisms, I can find the same names, same date of baptisms but not in Lancashire one in Devonport and one in Colchester.

Offline atticus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 February 11 21:00 GMT (UK) »
I have been doing some digging and came up with an entry on the Malta Family History site.
Baptism of Elizabeth Tattersall 1803 Daughter of Mary and James Tattersall, 20th Regiment.
I guess this knocks my James Tattersall out of the picture as his wife Betty had died in 1801.
I wonder if I should get the record from the NA.