Author Topic: Hunt of Uitenhage, South Africa  (Read 9977 times)

Offline phipps1

• RootsChat Senior
  • under extreme attack but not intimidated
    • View Profile
Hunt of Uitenhage, South Africa
« on: Thursday 17 February 11 06:56 GMT (UK) »
My paternal grandmoter is Mary Jane Hunt,born or christened in the Wesleyan Church,Uitenhage,Sth. Africa in 1892.
Her parents are Peter Hunt and Mary Jane Hunt, maiden name is unknown at present.
At some point,the Hunts may have moved to Northam,Limpopo, Sth Africa.
At some point,Mary Jane Hunt ( 1892) with or without her parents came to Fremantle on a ship and settled in Perth , Western Australia.
In January 1916,Mary Jane Hunt married my grandfather, Thomas Horatio  (Horatio Thomas) Milward and they had one child,Trevor Sidney Harding Milward,born at Subiaco 26 December 1917.T.S.H.Milward is my father,and he died in 1995.
Subsequent to my grandfather,T.H.Milward divorcing Mary Jane Milward  (Hunt) in 1925,she married a Richard Burke or Bourke in Perth,western Australia in 1926.
I am trying to trace the roots of the Hunt family from Uitenhage,South Africa.
I am hoping someone has a connect to the Hunts of South Africa or can give me advice/leads to follow.

Any assistance is gratefully received.
Thank you !

phipps
Yorkshire / Wiltshire / Cornwall / Swansea / Cardiff and districts / Australia / South Africa.

You are invited to search "Surname interests" that I have logged.-Thank you !

Offline Michael Burke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hunt of Uitenhage, South Africa
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 February 11 11:15 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if Marys family didnt show up because there legal  name may have been Schlemned and they  used or changed it to Hunt ?

Offline phipps1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 February 11 12:13 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if Marys family didnt show up because there legal  name may have been Schlemned and they  used or changed it to Hunt ?
Hi Michael,the Mary Jane Hunt,born 1892,Uitenhage,Sth. Africa who married Thomas Horatio Milward ( Horatio Thomas) Milward in Perth,Western Australia in January 1916, was the mother of my late father,Trevor S.H.Milward,born Subiaco,Perth 26 December 1917.
My grandfather,Thomas H. Milward divorced Mary Jane Hunt in 1926.The co-respondent,Richard Burke married her shortly after her divorce.
Does this help you ?
I am anxious to try and work out what ship she came to Fremantle,Western Australia on and what year . Do you know ?
Kind regards,
phipps
Yorkshire / Wiltshire / Cornwall / Swansea / Cardiff and districts / Australia / South Africa.

Offline phipps1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 February 11 12:27 GMT (UK) »
That is a new focus for me Michael.The marriage certificate is Hunt and her parents names are shown as Hunt, and the divorce papers show only "Hunt". Also the communication I got from the Wesleyan Church in Uitenhage clearly had her baptised as "Hunt" in 1892 so any name change would have to have been no later than 1892 I think.Her emigration to Australia should be in the name "Hunt"
I am struggling to find a ship but she must have come to Western Australia at some point.
Any clues ?
If we are related,how is that relationship described ?
Kind regards,
phipps

Offline Michael Burke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 February 11 12:41 GMT (UK) »
I have many of the same questions ? Wow Its amazing though. Our family was always quite secret about it all. My father talked vaguely of hidden jewish ancestory and a name change somewhere. Today earlier  I found your link and rang my Cousin who confirmed some of the rumours and gave me that name Schlemned. I can't find anything on it. I have just contacted friends in Germany and Israel to see if they have any clues but not feeling confident at this stage. I too would love to find  ship they/she  came on. the name change appears to be much earlier maybe before south Africa.

Offline Michael Burke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 February 11 12:57 GMT (UK) »
 My cousin apparently found some document somewhere from a time when Mary worked for a period as a legal  secretary and had to provide earlier family names. Schlemned is the name she used. With my family history I have to  wonder if that was what she recalled but my father definately mentioned a similar sounding name but said Mary didnt wish to talk  about it much. He also talked of the name change due to the fact of people not likeing Jewish names.  I think it was 1972 When Mary Died, dad always talked of a step brother & he gave me the picture of a young boy on a seat  (curly hair I think from memory).Pleasae keep me in touch. In which country do you live now ??

Offline Michael Burke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 February 11 12:58 GMT (UK) »
You will find Barrymore Richard Burke On FACEBOOK under that name.

Offline phipps1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 February 11 13:16 GMT (UK) »
I have many of the same questions ? Wow Its amazing though. Our family was always quite secret about it all. My father talked vaguely of hidden jewish ancestory and a name change somewhere. Today earlier  I found your link and rang my Cousin who confirmed some of the rumours and gave me that name Schlemned. I can't find anything on it. I have just contacted friends in Germany and Israel to see if they have any clues but not feeling confident at this stage. I too would love to find  ship they/she  came on. the name change appears to be much earlier maybe before south Africa.
Hi Michael, you mean the Hunts may have emigrated to South Africa from a european country at some point ?
Wow ! That really opens things up. I assumed that The Hunts had probably been descended from English settlers in South Africa.
Kind regards,
phipps

Offline phipps1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 February 11 13:17 GMT (UK) »
You will find Barrymore Richard Burke On FACEBOOK under that name.
I can't get "facebook" here in the P.R.China-it is banned and disconnected by the authorities Michael.
Kind regards,
phipps