Author Topic: Gallagher marriage Sligo  (Read 9873 times)

Offline Coxon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Gallagher marriage Sligo
« on: Monday 29 August 05 07:53 BST (UK) »
I am looking for details of a marriage between Michael Gallagher (various spellings) from Sligo and Ellen Ford also from Sligo.

The marriage took place between 1840 and 1848.  I don't know which parish they came from.  When he arrived in England Michael was described as an Ag. Lab.
I think they were Catholic.

Thank you
Louise

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Gallagher marriage Sligo
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 April 06 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Louise

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one.

Have you had a look at all the usual general resources I tend to suggest?  ;)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,83852.0.html

You could also look at these Sligo specific sites which may help.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,127748.0.html

Perhaps you would like to have a look at these resources to see if there is anything that might help you.

Please come back with any further queries or to let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Coxon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Sligo marriage
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 January 10 21:44 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for a marriage between Michael Gallagher (various spellings- such as Goliker and Golicher) and Ellen Ford.  From censuses and dates of death I have been able to deduce that Michael was born around 1816 in Sligo, and Ellen was born around 1821 in Sligo (I don't know where in Sligo).  I think they may have been Catholic - not sure.  They arrived in England around 1848.  Their first child was born around 1848 and they have put him down as being born in both Ireland and in England depending on the census.

So I am looking for a marriage in Ireland sometime pre 1848.

Thank you

Louise

Offline doch

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sligo marriage
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 January 10 18:44 GMT (UK) »
hi louise.
there is a match by year of birth for michael on the sligo heritage website(pay per view)there are also a few marriages for michael gallacher,but without a date it might be difficult to pick the right one. i couldn't find any match for ellen ford.

regards.doch.
docherty glasgow/ireland
king glasgow/ireland
burns glasgow/ireland
gillon/sligo    mcaffrey/fermanagh
young glasgow/ireland

Offline Coxon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Sligo marriage
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for trying.  I know it is hard to find Irish relatives from that period.  I have been trying for long enough!!  It might have been a little easier if they had given the name of a village or town.  I will try the Sligo heritage site.

Thanks once again,

Louise

Offline RichS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 December 12 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Louise,

I am very new to this - my first ever post on any form of forum so bear with me.

I think we may be looking for the same Michael Gallagher and Ellen - I certainly have traced my immediate family back to the Michael and Ellen in Wheldrake/Escrick near York that you seem to be looking for - My Grandfather remembers his mother's maiden name as being 'Golicher' and that was very easy to trace.

I have gone further and found what I think is the origin of this couple in Sligo Ireland - it is hard to be definitve and there are a few leaps I made along the way.

It is quite an interesting and convoluted story that I discovered however I did not find an Ellen Forde but an Ellen McGlone from Armagh so I am starting to have some doubts now.

Any details you have would help me as I am not sure I have found the correct Michael and Ellen now.

Richard

Offline Coxon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 December 12 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Dear Richard,

It was a lovely surprise receiving your messages.  I don't look on the message boards very often now.  I thought I had reached the end of the line with the Gallagher family!  I am afraid I have no more information on Michael and Ellen.  The post that you attached to was a last gasp attempt to find them in Ireland.  I got Ellen's Surname from the Birth Certificate of James Gallagher.

It reads: 1850 Birth in the Sub-district of Walmgate in the City and County of York.
Twenty Second of February 1850, Rectory Buildings, St. Dennis
 to Michael Gallahan (labourer) and Ellen Gallahan formerly Ford; Michael Gallahan the father made a mark. (Unable to write?)

The family had moved to Weldrake by the 1851 census.  They were very lucky to get out of Walmgate.  I don't know if you know of Walmgate, but it was an area that a lot of Irish families moved to.  It sounds like hell on earth.  Many of the villages around York would take on Irish workers but they had to walk daily to the farms, very few farms or villages allowed the Irish to settle.  Rectory buildings are also known as Plow's Buildings, they were condemned and knocked down years ago.

The deaths of various members of the family appear in the Parish Registers of Wheldrake but their is no sign of first generation Bapisms.  This could have been because they were Catholic, in which case the most likely Church would have been St. George in Walmgate as this was built especially for the Irish Catholic families of the area, this area also included Wheldrake.  Unfortunately I have asked twice if I can look at the Catholic Registers for St. George's, and while they have been friendly, they have passed me on to somebody else each time and they have failed to get back to me.  So I will never know if they are Catholic.

My line up to Michal and Ellen is through the eldest son Edward who is described on various census as been born in Manchester, England and Wheldrake.  He wasn't born in Wheldrake and I can't find him in Manchester or on any Births for England.  So I think he may have been born in Ireland and that he is putting various English places down as an attempt to prove he has a right to stay in this county. 

I would love to know of the leaps you have made on the way to Ireland. I take it you follow the line of John Gallgher/Golicher etc and Jane Bales? and then Kate Golicher and Richard Swallow?

I look forward to hearing from you.  I'm sorry I couldn't be more help.
Louise

Offline RichS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 December 12 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Louise,

I sent all the details I had in a PM (Personal Message - I think) as it was quite detailed and involved; Did you receive that ? If not let me know and I will re -write the detailed stuff again. I don't know if there is a way to keep the PM's sent in a sent box (I can't find it anyway), so let me know and I will write the details on another PM or add them as a post if you prefer.

Yes, I've traced my Grandfather as the son of Kate, through John and Jane - thanks by the way for the surname of Jane.

The detail on Edward I have is one of the leaps and may not be correct with your discovery of Ellen's maiden name so check the PM and let me know what you think.

Richard

Offline Coxon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Richard,

I haven't received any PM.  It is lost in the ether, flying above our heads somewhere.  I'm not very good with technology, so I can't help you with the sending of messages on this site.  I would love any information on Edward.  I don't mind it sent on an ordinary post.

Part of me has wondered if they were trying to fit in, by giving Edward an Anglican sounding name, but then Ford is also an Anglican sounding surname, Where they mixed religious marriage?  Michael Gallagher/Golicher etc is as Irish sounding as they come.

I look forward to hearing from you,
Louise