Author Topic: John Molloy & family  (Read 21302 times)

Offline Trappa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Molloy & family
« on: Sunday 20 February 11 05:07 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for the family of John Molloy who married Eliza Kerans 5 Jun 1850, Durrow, Kings County.  I have a letter that was written in 1861 by his father Charles Molloy that says John was living at the 'White Forge' with his family and at that time had 3 sons and one daughter.  He held 30 acres of land and was under agent to Lady Norberry.  I have located the birth of a later son, Samuel Robert who was born abt 1865.  Any help or suggestion on how to find further information on this family would be much appreciated.
Thanking you.
Pat

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: John Molloy & family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 February 11 10:19 GMT (UK) »
To find earlier details you will need to investigate church records. Do you know what religion your Molloy family were ?

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Trappa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 February 11 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for your reply.  The birth of the children mentioned would have fallen between 1850 & 1864 which, I think  is outside of the registration period.  Their religion was Church of Ireland.  By using the Irish Census 1901 & 1911, I have located some Molloys that may fit the bill - how can I verify them?
Pat

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 February 11 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Full civil registration started in 1864, but non-Catholic marriages were registered from 1845.

Where were the children born - i.e. which parish ?

Once we have this I can check what records might be available.

There are a few John Molloy listings on Griffith's valuation which I presume you've already seen.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Trappa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 February 11 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Griffith Valuation shows a John Molloy renting properties from the Countess of Norbury (which may fit in with the info in the letter), Henry Kemmis & John H. Armstrong all in the Parish of Durrow, Union of Tullamore.  I did find a 'White Forge' crossroads on the map.  If that is the area referred to in the letter, could that also help to pinpoint the area?
Thanks again
Pat

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 February 11 11:43 GMT (UK) »
CofI records for Durrow are available in the Representative Church body library, Rathfarnham Dublin and these include : baptisms from 1706, marriages from 1797 and death/burials from 1707.

Transcript for this parish also seem to be available on the pay-web site of the Irish Family History Foundation at http://www.rootsireland.ie  ( see their list of sources at : link )

I'll have a look for that White Forge Crossroad you mention to check the townland and parish.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 February 11 11:45 GMT (UK) »
The marriage is on LDS site:
5 June 1850 Durrow, Kings Co., John Molloy, son of Charles Molloy, to Eliza Kerans, daughter of Simon Kerans

The same site has the birth of two sons
1. Samuel Robert, born 26 Apr.1865 Tullamore dist., King Co. (page 824 in civil register)
2. son born 25 Oct.1867 Kilbeggan, Co.Westmeath (page 655 in civil register)

https://www.familysearch.org/#form=advanced-records

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Trappa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 February 11 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane & thanks Aghadowey!  I have opened the link to RootsIreland.  I had seen the site before, but didn't take it any further as I was unfamiliar with it. Hoping I have some joy there & that I find what I am looking for.  Shane until I hear from you..
Thanks again
Pat

Offline btc

• I am sorry but I am having problems with my emails at the moment
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 16:27 BST (UK) »
White Forge (Cross) is in that area and seems the correct spot as it is a boundary to the Durrow Estate i.e. the road from the south and the road from the West/Durrow form two of the boundaries of the old estate and meet at the cross- beautiful name but I never got a chance to establish its provenance i.e. was there a forge? Other/nearby townlands are Coniler, Ballybought etc.
BTC