Author Topic: Stanich, California  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Andro93

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stanich, California
« on: Tuesday 22 February 11 08:56 GMT (UK) »
    Harriet Castle, the maternal grandmother of my aunt, was born in Nottinghamshire, England in 1853. Following the death of her husband in 1907 she, and several of her children, emigrated to California. Harriet's daughter, Mary Castle, married Jan Stanich and they had two children, Mary Hildred Stanich b1915 and Ivan Allan Stanich b1917. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has any information about these people. Harriet died in 1940 at the age of 87 and is buried in the Golden Gate National Cemetery.

Andrew Wilson

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Stanich, California
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew:

I could be mistaken, but I think veterans and their families are usually buried in that cemetery.

Perhaps this is where Harriet is buried:
Harriette H Castle, birth 1853, death 1940
Alta Mesa Memorial Park, Palo Alto, CA
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0bz8/

Was Harriette's surname Herrod?  If so, the death index for California lists the exact dates for her birth and death, if you don't already have them?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 11:11 GMT (UK) »
There is a chance that Mary's son is still alive.  I haven't found his passing yet.  A man with the same date of birth passed away in 2007; but, his first and middle names aren't the same as your man's.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Andro93

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 11:36 GMT (UK) »
   Lisa,

Very many thanks. When I was at the Family History Centre here in London some months ago I noticed the reference to the death of the Mr Stanich in 2007. I think he altered his name and I know that the date of birth given for him is exactly the same as that of the Ivan Allan Stanich born in 1916/7. He will have changed the Ivan to John. Harriet was born Harriet Herrod in the Nottinghamshire village of Farndon. Betty, my aunt, who was a grand-daughter of Harriet died only in 2009 at the age of 85. On the 1930 Census Mary Hildred is recorded as Hildred, but I think there are no California Marriage Records from the required period.Hildred's mother, Mary, must have died before the 1920 Census.

Andrew

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew:

There is a birth for Ivan in Lassen County (exact date of the Mr. Stanich in 2007):
Ivan A Stanich, mother's maiden name Cassle

Would you have Mary's approximate date of birth, please?

We could try looking for her death in Lassen County, as well as the "Bay Area".

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 12:07 GMT (UK) »
WWII Army Enlistment
Alan J Stanich, birth year 1915
Residence: Santa Clara County
Enlisted: San Francisco, dated 1943
Married
Civil Occupation: Accountants and auditors

Book with Alan J Stanich's name, Accounts and Collections Division:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0bzc/

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Buried in the same cemetery as Harriette Castle is Joseph R. Stanich.  He was the husband of Edna Freeman Stanich.  (No dates listed.)  I wonder if they were related to Jan Stanich?

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 12:45 GMT (UK) »
You may already have this, since you believe his name was changed:
http://www.sfgenealogy.com/sanmateo/schools/smjc37.htm

Offline Andro93

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 13:15 GMT (UK) »
  Hi,Lisa,

Thank you. Mary Hildred was born on 31st July 1916, and Ivan Alan on 15th February 1915. I thought Hildred was older, but she wasn't!! 

Andrew