Author Topic: From Wales to Victoria, Australia  (Read 3823 times)

Offline RobynJJL

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
From Wales to Victoria, Australia
« on: Tuesday 08 June 04 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone :)

My ggGrandfather, William Edward BYNON travelled from Llanelly, Wales area to Bendigo, Victoria, Australia area.  He was a miner, as was his father Thomas BYNON, according to his marriage registration so chances are he came to Australia to try the gold mines.  I have very little information on him and have absolutely no idea when he travelled.

He was born in 1844, died in 1908 in Bendigo.  His mother, Ann EVANS, died in 1899 in Echuca, Victoria so his parents have also emigrated to Australia.  I don't have any information on his father's birth or death.

William married Elizabeth ARMSTRONG in 1868 in Bendigo, she was born about 1848 in Durham, England.  She's been a tough one to find, too many hits with that name!

William had two brothers, Richard and John.  John was born in Australia, I'm not sure about Richard, but both died in Australia.  So we would have travelling together Thomas and Ann BYNON (nee EVANS) with at least one child, William Edward BYNON and possibly Richard BYNON.

From the above information, William has to have left Wales after 1844, but before 1868, which is a very wide timeframe!!  Basically what I need to find out is where I can do some searching to find out how and when they travelled?  Because I'll no doubt have to spend a lot of time on this, it would have to be something I can do for free.

I guess the main question would be, where would William and family have left from if they came from the Llanelly area?  Any help would be gratefully received!! :D

Take care,

Rob.
IBSSG<br />Researching Eastley, Bynon, Dunlop, Puddephat, Nibbs, Armstrong, Stobart, Baker, and more.

Offline RobynJJL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: From Wales to Victoria, Australia
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 July 04 03:28 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone :)

I have some updates to my post ...

A wonderful lady in England has found Elizabeth ARMSTRONG's birth for me ... woohoo!! :D  I've searched for 3 years for this woman and she turned up in Durham Northern, born 1848 to John ARMSTRONG and Dorothy WAUGH.  I still don't know when they emigrated to Australia either, but it would've been about the same time as William BYNON.  William and Elizabeth married in 1868 so they had to be in Australia then! ;D

William Edward BYNON was born in 1844 in Llanelly, Wales (the Carmarthen Llanelly, now spelt Llanelli just to confuse the issue! ;D).  I have his parents as previously stated as Thomas BYNON (born abt. 1822) and Ann EVANS (born abt. 1823).

I have been searching online for William and family in Wales and have found a possible baptism for father Thomas at St. Elli's in Llanelli ...

4 January 1824, Thomas BEYNON, parents William and Ann, b. 9-10-1822, Wern, Collier

If this IS my gggGrandfather then he also had a sister Margaret and brother William, all baptised on the same day.

On the same site I have a possible baptism for Ann EVANS, however, I'm not putting bets on this one because there were a lot of EVANS and EVAN baptisms, although this is the only one that was close.  I don't, however, know if that's where she came from ...

14 March 1824, Ann EVANS, parents Thomas and Mary, Wern writer.

I still need to find out how and when William and family migrated to Australia but I am now also looking for information on Elizabeth and family's migration.  Both families I feel would have travelled to Victoria since that's where they settled, although I'm not ruling out arriving in another state and travelling from there to Victoria.

Again, if anyone can help I would be eternally grateful!! :D

Thanks,

Robyn.
IBSSG<br />Researching Eastley, Bynon, Dunlop, Puddephat, Nibbs, Armstrong, Stobart, Baker, and more.

Offline grub

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Xander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 August 04 14:26 BST (UK) »
He was born in 1844, died in 1908 in Bendigo.  

Do you have his death certificate?
From my experience, they often give the number of years in Australia, and that may narrow down your search.
Regards
Valerie :)
Bayley, Dorset, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cheshire and others.
Antrobus, Somerset/Glouster
Skelton, Heslington, Yorkshire
James, Norfolk, and London
Delasalle, London area
Gravett/Grevet, Surrey
Also searching the above in Australia

“Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RobynJJL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 August 04 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Valerie :)

I've now managed to find the emigration of Dorothy ARMSTRONG and children Elizabeth, Thomas and John in 1860 aboard the Empire of Peace.  I still haven't managed to find John ARMSTRONG's journey, so that one's becoming frustrating.  I DO, however, have the death certificates for both John ARMSTRONG and Thomas BYNON.  John had been in Victoria 21 years which means he arrived about 1855.  Thomas' certificate says "49 years in South Australia and Victoria" so it looks like he may have come via SA.  That would put his year of arrival at about 1850.

I've tried searching the PROV site but had not much luck finding either of them.  I've also searched various sites for Thomas since he may have come via SA but still no luck ... sigh!!

I'm not sure if you're from Australia or whether you know much of Australian history, but in 1850 wasn't SA considered part of Victoria?  If so, would any arrivals be on the PROV site or is there a SA one?  If you know the answer to this question I'd be eternally grateful for an answer! :)

I figure if I can find William's parents' emigration, I'm likely to find his and siblings as well.  No doubt I'll be proved wrong, but you just never know! ;D

Thanks,

Rob.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 August 04 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Robyn

SA was actually established in 1836, having major financial problems in 1840 and new regs and legislation in 1842. This site explains
http://www.foundingdocs.gov.au/timeline/index.htm
Meanwhile Victoria did not separate from NSW until 1850 - see the same site.
I'm sorry I have no SA knowledge, but try Cindi's list (if you haven't already)
http://www.cyndislist.com/austnz.htm. One of her sites has a SA passenger search list, but only up to 1843. There may be other links there.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RobynJJL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 August 04 14:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish, I'll definitely go take a look!! :D

Take care,

Rob.