Author Topic: St Patricks Parish Kilkenny  (Read 6179 times)

Offline aj57

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
St Patricks Parish Kilkenny
« on: Friday 25 February 11 05:42 GMT (UK) »
Have purchased a marriage certificate for Martin Farrell & Anastaia Holohan 3rd March 1851, St Patrick's Parish Kilkenny,  address was BODALE?
 Parents listed only as surnames ( Farrell & Holohan) & witnesses were John Dunne & Catherine Hanlon.

Also purchased 2 of their childrens  bapt certificates ( not sure if there was any more )

- John Farrell 4th Jan 1852 R/C, address BAMFORD?
 Sponsors were the same people that were witness to his parents marriage.

James bapt 3rd June 1853 address Bamford ? sponsors were Walter Holohan & Judith Farrell.

James O'Farrell left Ireland in 1870 during the time the Franco - Prussian War was on & lived & married  in QLD Australia, I have not found him arriving here.

How do i go to the next step - Martin & Anastia born? &  who were their parents? & when did they die?

Any help welcomed!!!!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: St Patricks Parish Kilkenny
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 February 11 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Records for St. Patrick RC parish go back to about 1800, so you could try earlier searches of the same parish for possible baptisms of Martin and Anastaia.

I haven't found anything on the two locations you mentioned yet (Bodale & Bamford) - they dont appear to be streets or townlands in the area... maybe the name of a farms or houses ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 February 11 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Bamford seems to be a village or crossroads about 4.5 km south of Kilkenny City - see : Kilkenny to Bamford   (google maps)

The historic OSI maps show a Bamfort house near this location - Bamfort House  there's also a Castle Bamford nearby

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline 888shelley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 August 12 04:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have Martin married to Anastasia BREEN so there may have been a 2nd marriage, to Hoolahan. His DOB was c1790.  i have a daughter Bridget who married Patrick LANNAN, they also came to Australia, I have details etc.
Martin lived in Swiftsheath Kilkenny and died at the ripe old age of 101 according to a newspaper article I found.
I am a Lannan by birth so these 2 were also my ggggparents. Have you any other info?

Offline aj57

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 August 12 05:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 Griffith's valuation 1848-1864 there was a Martin Farrell :Swiftsheath &
a John Dunne (witness to Martin's marriage & sponsor ) same residence ????
I have not been able to find any more abt Ireland, if Martin was born in 1790 he would have been 62 when he married Anastatia Hoolohan & 62/63 yrs when his sons were born. (possible !!)

Can not confirm the following, not enough info on certificates.

A marriage for John Farrell - 19/10/1880 St Patrick's Church Kilkenny.
 Father: Martin Farrell,Witness: Patrick Farrell.
 Address : Scarf.
Spouse: Anastatia Walshe .
 Father -Robert Walshe, witness: Lizzie Costello.
Address : Furhouse.

sorry  I can't confirm anymore than the 3 certificates i have purchased/posted.( 1 marriage & 2 births)

Offline 888shelley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 August 12 10:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that! will follow it up.