Author Topic: Elizabeth ARMSTRONG born Durham 1848 ... can't find her!!!  (Read 3720 times)

Offline RobynJJL

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Elizabeth ARMSTRONG born Durham 1848 ... can't find her!!!
« on: Tuesday 08 June 04 10:02 BST (UK) »
I'm having a terrible time trying to find my ggGrandmother, Elizabeth Armstrong, in Durham.  She was born about 1848 in Durham, died 1917 aged 69 in Bendigo, Australia.  She married my ggGrandfather, William Edward BYNON on October 10, 1868 in White Hills, Bendigo, Aus.  I have a copy of their marriage certificate which states that she was 20 at the time of marriage and her parents were John ARMSTRONG and Dorothy WAUGH.

So far I haven't found ANY Elizabeth ARMSTRONGS born in Durham around 1848, but there are plenty of them which makes it twice as hard to find her.  If anyone has a connection to this woman, or knows an "easy" way for me to locate her, I would be very pleased to hear from you!!

Rob.
IBSSG<br />Researching Eastley, Bynon, Dunlop, Puddephat, Nibbs, Armstrong, Stobart, Baker, and more.

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
Re:Elizabeth ARMSTRONG born Durham 1848 ... can't find her!!!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 June 04 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob,

Have you tried all the 1851 and 1861 census?

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline RobynJJL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 June 04 01:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Kazza :)

Someone did a lookup for me some time ago.  From memory there were no "direct" hits in the 1851.  I haven't searched the 1861 census though, no.  Maybe that should be my next project! :D

Take care,

Rob.
IBSSG<br />Researching Eastley, Bynon, Dunlop, Puddephat, Nibbs, Armstrong, Stobart, Baker, and more.

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 June 04 02:09 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

It is worth a try.  :D

When you tried the '51 did you look just in the one county?  It may be worth trying neighbouring ones if the '61 draws a blank.

Also,  if you can find her parents then or before/after you may find they have associations with a different area.  It is worth bearing in mind that often women went to their mothers to give birth,  and therefore Durham may not be where they lived for the census.

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline tullig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 June 04 04:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob,
Do you know where about in Durham she came from,I have just received 1861 census  for Durham and it is quite hard to read but if you know the area I could look for you, it may take a while as i havent had chance to search for myself yet but if you dont mind being patient i will help.
lynn
Powell/Preece: Hereford.
Dyer: Somerset
Mathias: Bletherstone
Jones/Morgan: Tredegar
Nicholson/Pounder/Hastings: Hartlepool
Smith: Agbrigg/Felkirk
Haswell: Sunderland
Hayton: Cumberland

Offline tullig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 June 04 04:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob,
I had a look on Rootsweb BMD site and there are two Elizabeth Armstrong's born in Durham one for March Quarter 1848 and one for June Quarter 1848, it may well be worth contacting the Durham registry office to see if any of these match, you will have a quick response as you know her mothers maiden name.
Lynn

Offline RobynJJL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 June 04 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Kazza and Tullig :)

The only information I have is "Durham", nothing more than that I'm afraid which is why it's been so difficult to find her!  I think from memory (it's been a while since I worked on Elizabeth's line) that I've searched FreeBMD while I was transcribing for them and I've searched the IGI.  The IGI brought back so many hits for Elizabeth Armstrongs it wasn't funny!!  I remember there were a couple that were possibilities, but as you said Tullig, until I know the county she was in it's going to be very hard to find her!! :(

When I got the copy of her marriage certificate to my ggGrandfather and saw her parents' names on it I thought "Great, NOW I'll find her!!".  I've been doing this a long time, I shouldn't have been so naive!! lol  I think I need to check the census records like Kazza suggested but of course the problem is going to be which county ... sigh!!

Maybe one of you can answer a question for me ... the 1851 census for Durham, would that be like the Devon one? i.e. I have the Devon disc and it's searchable, not the actual images.  It would make it so much easier if it was, cause I could just do a search for her or her mother.  If it IS, I'll buy the CD!! ;D

Thank you both so much for your help, you're actually getting me more motivated to find this woman!!! :D

Take care,

Rob.

Offline tullig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 June 04 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Rob,
Why dont you contact Durham Archives to see if they have a name index for the 1851 census to see if they are there, if so they may give you the RG number, and then ask if some kind person has the 1851 census and would they check it for you?????
Lynn

Offline RobynJJL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 June 04 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Tullig :)

What an excellent idea, thank you!! :D  I'll go do a Google search and see if I can find contact info.  No doubt the link's on my own site, maybe I'll look there first!! ;D

Take care,

Rob.