Author Topic: Police Sargeant SA  (Read 4466 times)

Offline smudger28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Future
    • View Profile
Police Sargeant SA
« on: Tuesday 19 April 05 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys

I'm really struggling to trace my Grandfathers parents and Grandparents In SA.

His father was called George Moss and he was born in 1893 in East London (so we believe).

George fought for the 1st SA Infantry in the first world war before settling down in the UK with Mabel Baxter in 1917 married in Leicester.  The marriage certificate gives Georges Father as Jack John Moss (deceased) occupation Police sargeant.

I have all of Georges war papers thanks to the SA military.  His next of kin is down as his brother Jack John Moss same as their father who lived at 30 Tennyson St East London.

George had a sister Ginny who we believe later became a Tredoux.

I have ordered Georges birth cert from the SA Goverment but that can take up to 5 months which would be next month.

I would really like to trace the Grandparents Jack and his wife as my Grandfather never knew his Grandparents and he is still alive today to know.  He's over the moon to know who his Grandfather is but we would like to know his Grandma.

I really don't know if Jack John Moss emmigrated from this country (UK) to SA to join the Police or he is born and bred SA.

Please Help

Thankyou

Paul Smith
UK

Any help would be great please
Cornwall: Hoare, Hoar, Mallet, Mallett, Davey, Cock<br />Leicester (Croxton K)Ward<br />Lincolnshire: Smith, Moss, Baxter<br />Rutland: Dexter, Hill, Green, Fowler, Smith, Ward, Vernum, Lattimore, Chappell, Turner, Burrows<br />Northamtonshire: Baxter, Smith<br />South Africa: Moss, Dominey, Dominy, Domeney<br /><br />Requests: <br /><br />1841 Rutland Census Look Ups<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Police Sargeant SA
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 20:52 BST (UK) »
These websites are useful for South African research

http://www.national.archives.gov.za/
http://home.global.co.za/~mercon/
http://www.genealogy.co.za/

Regards
Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 April 05 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I have searched the info that I am able to access but am not an expert on the Eastern Cape! However I know there that there was an 1820 settler by the name of John Pinnell Moss so there will be Moss researchers around. The best bet is to post a message on the Rootsweb South Africa British immigrants list which has a lot of links to the Eastern Cape area or even the Eastern Cape list itself or both. Put all the info down that you have and I am sure you will get help.
The genealogy.co.za site contains a number of refernces to Mosses.
Also have a search of the archives fro the south african mailing lists - you may find something there.
Let me know how you go.
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudger28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 April 05 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda and Ruth

Thanks I will try the boards.

Kind regards

Paul
Cornwall: Hoare, Hoar, Mallet, Mallett, Davey, Cock<br />Leicester (Croxton K)Ward<br />Lincolnshire: Smith, Moss, Baxter<br />Rutland: Dexter, Hill, Green, Fowler, Smith, Ward, Vernum, Lattimore, Chappell, Turner, Burrows<br />Northamtonshire: Baxter, Smith<br />South Africa: Moss, Dominey, Dominy, Domeney<br /><br />Requests: <br /><br />1841 Rutland Census Look Ups<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudger28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 April 05 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth

I have found a document with regards to George MOSS Immigration 1917 in the National Archives of South Africa.  How do I obtain a copy of this document.  I have emailed the department but I have had no reply.

Paul

Offline smudger28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 April 05 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth here is that document.

DEPOT     SAB                                                                   
SOURCE    BNS                                                                   
TYPE LEER
VOLUME_NO 1/2/21                                                               
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE A709A                                                                 
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          GEORGE MOSS. IMMIGRATION OF.                                         
STARTING  1916                                                                 
ENDING    1916   

Thanks Paul

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 June 05 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,
I must have missed this last posting. The documentation you require would be available from the Pretoria archives - unfortunately a long way from me. I would suggest emailing them , telling them you live out the country and ask them for the details,quoting all the reference numbers. They will probably take a long time to answer but it is worth a try - otherwise try a posting  on one of the South African mailing lists and see if someone can help you.
Here are their details:
SAB:
 National Archives Repository (Public Records of Central Government since 1910)
Postal address: Private Bag X236, PRETORIA 0001
Street address: 24 Hamilton Street, Arcadia, PRETORIA.
Tel: (012) 323 5300. Fax: (012) 323 5287.
Email: enquiries@dac.gov.za

Ruth

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudger28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 June 05 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth

Thanks for getting back.  I managed to get a private researcher at a fantastic price only to find it was not the George I'm looking for :-(

So I'm still waiting for a birth certificate, but its been 6 months now.

Paul