Author Topic: Lawrie/Ferguson 1780's  (Read 1661 times)

Offline carrumba

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lawrie/Ferguson 1780's
« on: Sunday 27 February 11 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Hey all!

Back onto my wife's family tree and would like some opinions/help on this particular stumbling block.

So far, I have a Peter Ferguson married to a Janet Lawrie (Lownie/Laurie in different sources) and having two children (that I have been able to find) -

John Ferguson (1803-1878)
Isobell Ferguson (1805-)

John Fergusons' first daughter was Barbera Ferguson which could point to Janet Lawrie's mother being named Barbera.

I know nothing of Peter Ferguson's parents but I know, from the marriage certificate of Peter and Janet that Janet Lawrie's father was called James Lawrie and was a shoemaker living at the time in Michel Whitefield (still on maps...up St. Martins direction north of Perth)

Going on the tenuous idea of Janet's mother being called Barbera i've found only a few James Lawrie and Barberas on the IGI with the closest, geographically, being James Lawrie and Barbera Watt (married 1789- Kinross)

All made the more complicated by the fact I have not been able to find Janet Lawrie's birth entry yet.   :-\

Also trying to progress Peter Ferguson's line as well.

Born about 1781
Married Janet Laurie 26 Feb 1798 in Perth and he was a soldier in the 2nd fencibles at this time.  He is in the 2nd reg 1st Batallion Royal Perthshire Volunteers in 1805

Would love to be able to follow his line back a bit further if anyone has any information that can help :-)

Offline ColinUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lawrie/Ferguson 1780's
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 March 11 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Is this your family?
1851 census, Strathyre, Balquhidder, Perthshire
Peter Ferguson Head 72 Balquhidder, Perthshire, Agr Labourer
Janet Ferguson Wife 57 Balquhidder, Perthshire
Donald Ferguson Son 24 Balquhidder, Perthshire, Agr Labourer
John Mccaughy  Boarder 32 Ireland
Catherine Mccaughy  Boarder 2 Ireland
Catherine Mccaughy  Boarder 1 Auchlerarder, Perthshr

This Peter Fergusson, pauper, died 13 Mar 1860 in Strathyre, age 81, father: Donald Fergusson, weaver, dec'd; mother: Christian Fergusson, dec'd; informant: Donald Ferguson, son; buried: Church Yard of Balquhidder