Author Topic: Burial - St Mary's Portsea - ELLIS  (Read 4801 times)

Offline vblease

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial - St Mary's Portsea - ELLIS
« on: Sunday 27 February 11 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping that someone will be able to check burials at St Mary's Portsea for me.   I have some approx dates from the wills but am not able to get down to Portsmouth to check the parish registers myself.

I'm looking for my 5th Great Grandparents:
Richard Ellis (born about 1740), death probate was 16 Aug 1802
Mary Ellis nee Horton - again born about 1740.  She made her will on the 19 February 1803 and the will was sworn on the 15 January 1807.

Any help would be much appreciated, especially if there are any ages as I don't know exactly when they were born.

Thanks
Val

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Burial - St Mary's Portsea - ELLIS
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 February 11 14:52 GMT (UK) »
These seem to be the only ones that "fit" but no ages given unfotunately !

Buriels
04 Jul 1798-Richard ELLIS     at Portsea
24 Nov 1806-Mary ELLIS       at Hambledon

A lot of ELLIS buriels at Hambledon in the 1700s and HOLTENs around Havant - if that helps !

Offline vblease

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 February 11 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the very quick response.  I think that Mary Ellis at Hambledon is probably the right one as her will was proved on the 15 Jan 1807.  Plus the family did move from Hambledon sometime after 1788, so it's likely that this is my Mary.

Not sure about Richard however, his will was proved in August 1802 and it seems quite a long time between 1798 and 1802.   Could I ask, is there any information on where they were living (they were in Milton at the time)? 

Thanks again
Val

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 February 11 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes,there is this one but I thought he waould be too old !!

Maybe not-
20 Nov 1802-Richard ELLIS   71  at Hambledon

Offline vblease

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 February 11 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for your help, but I don't think that the Nov 1802 burial is right as the will was proved on the 16 August 1802.

I'll keep looking, but again, thanks for your help.

Regards
Val

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 February 11 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Since you have the will, are there any indications in it as to where Richard was living, who his relatives were.  When did he sign it in relation to when the probate was granted.  It's possible the 1798 burial might be your man.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline vblease

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 February 11 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nell, thanks for the reply.
He was living in Milton when his will was proved (as was his wife who died in 1806 but was buried in Hambledon).   You are right, that the 1798 burial could be him, but it seems odd that his wife looks like she was buried back in Hambledon where they came from. 

The information from the will is very difficult to read and there doesn't appear to be any date, in fact the document looks more like a summary than the actual will - it was found by another member of my family and I unfortunately don't know the source of it.   Yesterday I have found the will reference on the Hampshire Records Office site and have sent for it as it appears to be a copy of the original will (which hopefully will be different to what I already have) - that might give me more infomation.   

Richard and Mary had quite a few children and all the ones we know about are listed in the will, including excellent provision for a child, Obediah, who, the will states 'has laboured under mental and bolidy infirmities since his birth, not able of earning his own living'.  Richard then placed ' implicit confidence' in his wife that she would support him and, if he doesn't predecease her, make ample provision for him after her death.   Her will, written in February 1803, does just this.   Which is another reason why I think that the 1798 date could be wrong, as Mary makes her Will dealing with the maintenance of Obediah shortly after her husband, Richards, will is proved in August 1802.

Looks like it's a visit to Portsea & Hambledon in the summer to look round the graveyards and see if there's a stone.

Regards
Val

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 February 11 12:44 GMT (UK) »
A burial in Portsea at that date - especially if it was at St Mary's - may not have a surviving headstone, if one was erected.  The current church was only built in the 1880s and there was another before that which replaced the one in existence at the time of this burial. The churchyard at St Mary's was cleared of headstones in the 1950s, I think.  Some were placed around the walls at the churchyard boundary, but considering the potential number of headstones, it's possible not all survive.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 February 11 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Val

If you'd like an image of the church before it was pulled down in 1843, see the attached thread, replies 18 and 19

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,396444.15.html

If you ask Steve G on that thread he'll probably be able to send you a copy too.

Fascinating to see long lost places like this  :)

Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras