Author Topic: Harriett Ann English  (Read 1671 times)

Offline bethan31

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harriett Ann English
« on: Monday 28 February 11 15:33 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate the birth of Harriett Ann English  born abt 1878 , all I know is she was born in Canada but returned to  the UK some time before 1881with her father but no mother.

Father Thomas English was born in Clapton Middlesex but in1861 was living in Leeds  Yorkshire.
I do not know if Thomas was married before he left the UK or met someone in Canada. I can find a marriage in1867 to Ann Nesham in Leeds, no confirmation yet.
In 1881 Father and daughter are living with  the rest of the family in Leeds. She / they then seem to  vanish, not sure if they returned to Canada 
Unfortunately I do not know where he sailed from or which year , so unable to  find out where he might have landed .
Any suggestions gratefully received.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Harriett Ann English
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 February 11 22:28 GMT (UK) »
There is a Thomas English whose death was registered in 1892 in Leeds in the FreeBMD. The index indicates Thomas was born about 1847. There is an entry for a Thomas English, commercial traveller, of Leeds who died 23 Jan 1892 in the National Probate Calendar database. Probate was granted to his widow, Ann. This Thomas and Ann appear on the 1881 England census in Leeds together with their two sons. From what I can tell from family trees posted at Ancestry, this Thomas is the one who was married to Ann Nesham.

I noticed on the 1881 census that your Thomas is listed as being married, not a widower.

Also there is a marriage for a Harriet English to Abraham Burniston in the second quarter of 1902 in Leeds (vol 9b, p 737). On the 1911 census Harriet's birth place is listed as Leeds but that doesn't necessarily mean that she isn't your Harriet since she apparently returned to England as an infant. Have you eliminated that Harriet as being yours?

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline bethan31

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harriett Ann English
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 November 12 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Appologies no reply before now,  thank you for your suggestions. Have been on alternative search.
Will follow up.