Author Topic: RADIVANOH Family: Spanish Gypsies  (Read 2144 times)

Offline alvaanne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RADIVANOH Family: Spanish Gypsies
« on: Tuesday 01 March 11 04:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi! I am doing some genealogy research on my family, and my cousin wanted help for his family. His grandfather, Carlos Radivanoh (born 1 Dec 1899 ( in puerto rico on the way to the USA and passed away on 18 Jan 2002  Guadalajara, Mexico) had a family in San Francisco, an ex-wife with two children. My cousin would like to locate them or anyone from the Radivanoh family. He doesn't have much information except that he did own a house in San Francisco, and his great grandparets are Carlos Radivanoh and Josefa de la Barca. He was told they were Spanish gypsies, we have done online search, and have gone through ancestry.com and have found no clues. If anyone has tips or clues I'd really appreciate it. -Anet

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: RADIVANOH Family: Spanish Gypsies
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 16:09 GMT (UK) »
hi, alvaanne, this wont help much, but it may give some insight as to why you will find it hard to get info. the spanish gypsy are mainly roma, were in england we are mainly rom, because we have had to live on the edge of society, lots of romany cannot write, so few records, and it still happens that many romany are not registered at birth. we tend to be a secretive people, so it can be very hard as we would not want to be on a census? there are times when it is better to hide you romany history, and as they were spanish, lots of records were destroyed in the civel war, there are romany familys  that came over then as refugees, but thats all i know.  i have not heard of any travellers called radivanoh, there are lots of english romany sites, but i know of no spanish ones, but there must be some?  i have camped in spain and met romany folk over there, but they seem to have it worse then we do to live in spain, predudice etc. sorry i cannot be of more help but as it seems you are fairly new to this site just wanted to give you a reply, custy bok.. good luck in romany..rob..g
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline alvaanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: RADIVANOH Family: Spanish Gypsies
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Dear Rob,
    Thank you for responding to my post. That's what I was afraid of, I remember learning in history classes that in Europe, Gypsies (Roma) face many prejudices and discrimination. I appreciate an explanation of why there may not be records. I will still continue my search because Carlos, or Charlie as I call him was a good grandfather and my cousin wants to find his family.
Thank You,
Annette