Author Topic: Ship arrival lookup of CORBETTS 1828-47  (Read 4790 times)

Offline mcvicars

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Ship arrival lookup of CORBETTS 1828-47
« on: Tuesday 01 March 11 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Susannah Corbett was listed on her son Henry’s birth certificate as aged 31 when he was born in 1859 ( so her birth year 1827-1828) and that she was born in Bristol, England. As she married in Australia in 1847 (to Thomas Matthews age 20 on 26 April 1847 in Wesleyan Methodist Church, Sydney) she must have arrived by ship either alone or with family between her birth year 1828 and 1847. I have had no luck finding her on any shipping lists; can anyone give me some clues please? I need her parents names to then locate her English birth and maybe census records.
Craig - Glasgow and Perthshire Scotland; Matthews -Lithgow,Wattle Flat NSW, Co Louth Ireland; Marshall - Broxburn, Scotland and Antrim Ireland; McVicars - Antrim Ireland; McPeake, McAtamney-Co Derry, Ireland, Wattle Flat NSW;  Evans, Richards- Cornwall, Wallsend/Newcastle.

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ship arrival lookup of CORBETTS 1828-47
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 10:39 GMT (UK) »
There is a Mrs CORBETT & two children, wife of convict John CORBETT arriving on the 'Diamond' 20/03/1838
Ref: Reel 2420   101   [2/8255]   NRS 1155

Offline mcvicars

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 11:39 GMT (UK) »
That sounds quite promising, thankyou very much. So John Corbett was already out here, so if I trace back his conviction for date he left UK, then I might be able to look at census records to find him and wife & two kids to see if Susannah is one of them.......
Craig - Glasgow and Perthshire Scotland; Matthews -Lithgow,Wattle Flat NSW, Co Louth Ireland; Marshall - Broxburn, Scotland and Antrim Ireland; McVicars - Antrim Ireland; McPeake, McAtamney-Co Derry, Ireland, Wattle Flat NSW;  Evans, Richards- Cornwall, Wallsend/Newcastle.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately it looks like the Diamond came straight from Dublin.

Ref: Reel 2420 [2/8255]   NRS 1155

Page 97

"Memorandum on the list of convicts dated 27 April 1837 who were recommended by the Governor of New South Wales as worthy of having their wives and families sent out to them at the public expense"

Page 101

"John CORBETT's wife and two children embarked onboard the Diamond"

Debra  :)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Possible;

CORBETT    John , Age 35 arrived on the "Jane I "(1831) ,Trial   1830, Convicted   Limerick, Sentence     7 Yrs, Birth 1796,  Native Place Limerick , Crime Stealing sheep    Married 2 children brother Patrick Corbett arrived per Mangles (2) [1822] Trade Spadesman reaper

http://members.pcug.org.au/~ppmay/ships.htm
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Now if she was born Bristol there is this Submitted Record on The IGI at Familysearch;
Susanna CORBET, Christened 27 July 1828, Philip, Jacob, Bristol, Gloucester, England
Parents JOHN/SARAH

There is actually a Exracted Record on Familysearch Pilot that confirms this at St Philips and St Jacob's, Bristol, Gloucester
Looks like they christened 3 Children on the same day;
SARAH, 27 July 1828
WILLIAM, 27 July 1828

I cant find any of them on the 1841 Census

When did Susannah die?
Do you have her Death Cert?

Trish :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 15:02 GMT (UK) »
If she died 1903, Sofala, NSW, her Fathers name is FRANCIS Mathews!

Back to the drawing board :P

Offline mcvicars

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for the responses, as usual everyone is so helpful!
 Re: John Corbett's (convict on the "Asia") family on the "Diamond" - the 1837 Convict Muster lists him as 20 so whilst he was a young father. he could not be Susannah's father. J
ohn arrived on the "Jane" from Limerick - again, seems doubtful if he is her relative if she is listed as born in Bristol?
The St Philips and St Jacob's, Bristol, Gloucester records seem to be the best match to investigate; so would be looking to see if a John & Sarah Corbett arrived in Australia with 3 children: Susannah, Sarah & William between 1828-47. Or did Susannah come out on her own closer to the '47'? She's got to be listed somewhere.....
(An interesting note: on the NSW BDM it lists her married name as Sarah, but I have a copy of the actual wedding certificate which shows her to be Susannah - seems to add some weight to the mother/sister being Sarah's perhaps?)

Offline mcvicars

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Oops I forgot to respond re: Death record; I have yet to get a copy of this, at this stage it's only an assumption that this is her in 1903 given her family was in Sofala area at the time - so the father as "Francis" is not yet confirmed, only speculative. And given her married name was incorrectly listed as Sarah, one can never guarantee that the BDM has the correct info unless checked anyway.  :)