Author Topic: travel between England & Australia  (Read 3255 times)

Offline Vilma

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
travel between England & Australia
« on: Thursday 03 March 11 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Is there a site showing travel between England and Australia between 1841 and 1843 and also between Australia and England between 1844 and 1849?

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: travel between England & Australia
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 March 11 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vilma,

Do you mean passenger lists?  Or just ship arrivals and departures?
There are plenty of resources for both listed in the Australia Resources board:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,399.0.html

If you are looking for something specific, let us know and we can probably help you more  :)

Cheers
Prue

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 March 11 19:38 GMT (UK) »
If it involves a person who was transported the details are widely shown on a variety of Australian Family History sites. Don't ask how I know this ;)
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Vilma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 March 11 23:52 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find when and why Elizabeth C. Gent went to Australia. She was shown as being in Suffolk at the time of the 1841c and then shows as having married Charles Usher Jones in Sydney, NSW in 1843. In 1844 they had a son, Charles Jones. In the 1851c she is shown as a widow back in England with son Charles and another son, Robert William born in Suffolk in 1849.

I would like to know what happened to her husband Charles Usher Jones and when she returned to England

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 March 11 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Why not check to see if she was transported for seven years between 1841 and 1843? If she was given a ticket of leave she could have married in Sydney at the time stated, and been free to return later, if she could raise the fare.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Vilma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 March 11 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank  you Redroger, I will try that.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 March 11 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vilma :)

I've had a look on a few databases but I can't see her as either a free immigrant (assisted or unassisted) or a convict. 

I wonder whether she followed her lover out here, then when he died, returned home to England with her children?  I have the exact same scenario in my family - young woman came out here, married, had two children, then when her husband died she returned to England pretty much straight away. 

If your lady came here unassisted (i.e. paid her own fare) the records are very haphazard and she may not appear on any passenger list, or she might be just "Miss Gent".

Cheers
Prue

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 March 11 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vilma, I have been looking at the BMD for NSW in that period, I Have a marriage for Charles and Elizabethin 1843. I also can find no death for Charles before 1851.

Strangely I have children born to them from 1844 Charles,1847 Mary,1850 Charles, 1853 George and 1862 Elizabeth. Elizabeth appears to have died in 1864.

I believe you have two possibilities they married outside NSW, second you have the wrong Elizabeth Returned in 1851 census. I could also have listed other Jones children with same parent names, Jones is an extremely difficult name to trace.
Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 March 11 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Neil, how do you know that those children are born to the right couple?  I've looked on the NSW BDM just now and there is nothing to indicate that all those children are born to the same Charles and Elizabeth, particularly with the surname Jones.

It might pay to go back to basics.  Vilma, have you worked backwards to get to the Elizabeth Gent who marries in Sydney?

Cheers
Prue