Author Topic: child's occupation on child's death certificate?  (Read 1380 times)

Offline Lambendsor (aka IGS)

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
child's occupation on child's death certificate?
« on: Wednesday 20 April 05 15:33 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anybody has been confronted with this issue.

I have a death certificate from the GRO of a child who died in 1837 at age 3. The space for "occupation" has been filled in, but it isn't quite legible, so I queried the local office and they put in their two cents and so I think it says something like "Mother a Reeler" or "Mother is a Reeler". (A reeler, I gather, works in the weaving industry.) The mother was also the informant.

Was it usual to put the occupation of a parent on the death certificate of a child? And has anybody found wording like this on any of their death certificates of children?
ENDSOR: Tamworth/Manchester
LAMB: Leeds/Manchester
SMITH: Manchester
HOLMES: Kirk Ireton/Manchester
WORTHINGTON: Middleton/Manchester
SHORROCK: Manchester
BROOKS: Wilmslow/Knutsford
By marriage in Manchester: BAXENDALE, DODD, EYERS, FIRTH, FISHER, FO(R)STER, HARGREAVES, J(A/E)RVIS, McKEOWN, OSBALDESTON, PICKWELL, PODMORE, SCHOFIELD, SHALLCROSS, STONES, WALKER
GREY, DOYLE, GOLDEN, MONAHAN: Ireland
HAWE, FRENEY, NARY: Co. Kilkenny
DONOHO and variants: Co. Longford

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: child's occupation on child's death certificate?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 16:05 BST (UK) »
I have "father tailor" on one of mine from 1877
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 19:35 BST (UK) »
I have three death certificates in my possession for Great Aunts,two of whom were under 21yrs.
The first died in 1891,aged 5months and therefore did not have any occupation; in the occupation column is my Great Grandfathers name/occupation.
The second died in 1895,aged 23yrs and again in the occupation column is shown my Great Grandfathers name and occupation.
The third died in 1896,aged 17yrs.Her occupation is shown as dressmaker.
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 May 05 06:16 BST (UK) »

I have an 1860 death certificate for an 8 week old baby.

The baby's occupation is given as - 'Son of Caroline Pitts'.

Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk