Author Topic: West Wratting Marriage Look Up Please  (Read 1894 times)

Offline CCRAIL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
West Wratting Marriage Look Up Please
« on: Friday 04 March 11 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am hoping some kind person can help me clarify some options I currently have on a wedding in West Wratting.   :-\
It is between a William Starling and a Sarah Allen, it occurred on the 14/11/1815, I have some info from the a pay website but I am hoping that someone has access to a copy of the original as i am looking for the names of the fathers of the Bride and Groom.  I have 2 options on the bride and 4 options on the groom. 

Thanks in advance :)
CCRAIL
Coe: Middlesex, Surrey, Norfolk, Suffolk – Roll: Suffolk – Hawes: (Hawse)  Norfolk – Burson: Berkshire – Dodson: Surrey – Groves: Sussex, Surrey – Wilson: West Riding – Coleman: Somerset, Gloucestershire – Stanbury: Somerset – Hutton: Oxon – Stott: (Statt).  Devon – Martin: Bucks, Surrey – Henden: Surrey - Starling, Whitaker, Symonds, Flack: Cambs.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: West Wratting Marriage Look Up Please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 March 11 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately fathers' names were only given from 1837 onwards with the introduction of civil registration. Prior to that the only other names you get are those of the witnesses

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 May 11 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, CCRAIL, hope you're still about...
Today I visited the CCRO for the first time for simply ages, and as I had just one Cambridge burial to look up, had a few minutes spare to see whether I could unearth anything in West Wratting at about the time of the Battle of Waterloo.
First of all, the date for the banns (presumably last reading of) was 12th November, with the marriage 2 days later.  No parents' names, just the witness Ann STARLING, and a Clarke VALE, who must have been a church warden or some such, as his name appears at several weddings at that time.
I've had a bit of a look at other rites of passage for the ALLEN family (none at all) and for the STARLING family (lots and lots - first baptism 1586, first marriage 1590 and first burial recorded as 1597).  I've picked out some possible useful dates and entries - would you like me to post them on here?
I notice that a large collection of Starlings could be referred to as A "Scourge", "A Chatter", or even "A Murmuration", but you probably already know this!
By the by, several entries for STARLING in West Wratting had the info: "of Withersfield", or "of Linton".  And the William STARLING who tied the knot on 14th November 1815 was terming himself a "shepherd" when his first child Robert was baptised on 13th March 1816...so how about an extra collective term - a "flock" of starlings...
Regards, keith

Offline CCRAIL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 May 11 18:04 BST (UK) »
Keith
Your a star!  Thanks very much for spending some time on my problem.  I wasn't aware of the collective names but a 'chatter' would seem very apt as the Starlings come down my mothers mothers side.

I would very much like the info you have (via a PM if possible)  I do transcribing for Free Reg and am currently doing the PRs for West Wratting baptisms from 1579 to about 1950, so i have the baps.  But anything else you have would be great.

Thanks very much
CCRAIL
Coe: Middlesex, Surrey, Norfolk, Suffolk – Roll: Suffolk – Hawes: (Hawse)  Norfolk – Burson: Berkshire – Dodson: Surrey – Groves: Sussex, Surrey – Wilson: West Riding – Coleman: Somerset, Gloucestershire – Stanbury: Somerset – Hutton: Oxon – Stott: (Statt).  Devon – Martin: Bucks, Surrey – Henden: Surrey - Starling, Whitaker, Symonds, Flack: Cambs.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 May 11 18:28 BST (UK) »
Right, CCRAIL,
I'll let you have the burials I noted down, I suppose I was trying to eliminate all the William STARLING's from the equation - i.e. those that had a baptismal entry - and therefore parents given - and who may simply have died in infancy/prematurely young.  It's a bit of a scattergun approach, but I'll PM you later today with what I have.  No doubt you already have a much clearer picture of things in West Wratting since you started this thread if you have the actual PR baptisms in front of you now!
regards, keith
p.s.What did you make of the double baptism for a William and Catherine STARLING, parents William and Ann, on 24th March 1811?  Not exactly a multiple, but possibly belated baptism - could have been twins, I suppose; but sometimes, I've noticed, people got baptised quite late in life and quite soon after got married in the same parish, especially if they'd recently arrived there from elsewhere...