Author Topic: Edwinstowe PR - Mar & Bur lookup  (Read 12606 times)

Offline smouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Edwinstowe PR - Mar & Bur lookup
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 August 11 10:14 BST (UK) »
Yes I found the other document about Dorothy being a spinster too last night.  When I go to the library beginning of October I'll check the baptism of Samuel (also Bridget and Dorothy).   I'm also going to look for a possible burial of Samuel and also of the parents John & Elizabeth.  So whether we are related or not I'll pass on that info to you.  I'm also going to look up some of the early marriages to see if Samuel was ever listed as a witness.

Basically, as I said before, my Samuel was reported to have left his family and the country in about 1819/1820.   His wife then went on to have several more children with an unknown man.  Perhaps this was too much of a scandal and with John Paulson seeming quite well off for the time he may have disinherited this line of the family (my theory).

My Samuel was a butcher in Sutton-in-Ashfield in his early days, very much like William Wass who married Mary Paulson.  Anyway unless I can find a burial of the Samuel Paulson who was baptised to John & Elizabeth in 1787, things are still looking possible.

Damian

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 August 11 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

On my CD there is a Samuel Paulson son of John & Eliza born 22 Feb 1787 christened 4 Nov 1787 at Edwinstowe Chruch and living at Clipson. 

Nottsgirl1
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline smouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 August 11 14:40 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's the one.  Odd it isn't on the IGI, think that may just be the cover-up to keep me guessing for 20 years!!  :)

Damian

Offline twiglet222

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 00:36 BST (UK) »
Im sorry if ive put this in the wrong place but just been reading your threads here and wanted to tell you that the Mansfield library isnt open at moment. They're revamping it and have just set up a temporary place so all records have been scattered around. I think its around January that they hope to reopen. If anyone is thinking of visiting for genealogy stuff i'd advise ringing first to find if they are available or wait till the revamp has been done. Ill try to remember to post a note when they open again.Hope this helps save a wasted journey smouse.

Offline smouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 11:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for thinking of me but I found this out a while ago.  I'm off to the other library in Mansfield (Woodhouse) as it has what I need there too.

Damian

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 February 15 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I have just come across your post, which refers to a Catherine Paulson. I have a great great grandmother named Catherine Paulson, from Mansfield, who married Charles Dunnill. I'm always interested in making new connections, I have collected quite a good bit of info about the Dunnills and the Paulson's.  My connection is through Catherine's daughter Jane, who married Henry Maxwell Mathews.
 :)vJeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline smouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 February 15 16:08 GMT (UK) »
So looks like your Catherine is the daughter of George & Rachel.  What more do you know about George?

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 February 15 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes, George Butrick Paulson and Rachel Sykes are my 3rd great grandparents.  I have George's Parents J Paulson b. 6/4/1757 Oxton, and Catherine Cook.  that is as far back as I have got. 

George and Rachel's daughter Catherine b 1818, married Charles Dunnill, and their daughter Jane married Henry Maxwell David Mathews in Sheffield in 1845. Henry and Jane are my great grandparents. The majority of my research has focussed on this family and their descendants.

I do have a paper record from OPR St. Peters, Mansfield, 18 October, 1818, Page 161. No. 1284. Not sure whether it's a birth or baptism, but it states: Catherine.  Daughter of George and Rachel Paulson, Cottage in Lister Lane, Grocer!  It's a photocopy of the register entry that I obtained from the Sheffield Library about 12 years ago.

On IGI - Batch C044861 - 1813-1825  - 0504077. P/O Call 0883649

I have only recently been focussing more on the Dunnill & Paulson families, so seeing your post was very interesting.

Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 20 February 15 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi to the people on this thread. I am also researching my Paulson people, but I think I have several generations to get to Edwinstowe, but looks as though I am heading there!  There are a couple of trees leading me back there, but the info is unsourced, so not convinced yet.

However I popped a few Edwinstowe names into Google and came up with "the Registers of Edwinstowe in the county of Nottinghamshire" 1634-1756 - at  - archive.org.  The complete link is at the end of this post. Several options for download, choose to read online, PDF, or  iBook, or Kindle! You can also choose parchment version of the actual book, or transcription.  Bonus?  ALL FREE!

Haven't dipped into it yet, but a good tool for research I think.  archives.org came up when I googled a set of names I Saw further back on this thread, NICHOLAS PAWSON, GRACE ROGERS, child Charles.

Ok so here below is the extended URL for the book. Hope someone finds it useful!  I've found archive.org quite useful at other times. Once you get there you can just choose the format you want.

I actually chose the original as well as the PDF just in case the electronic copy has some gaps, and gives a double check as well!

https://archive.org/details/registersofedwin00edwi

Happy Hunting :) Jeanne

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections