Author Topic: York Gaol Prison Records  (Read 2409 times)

Offline shazadoobie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Smudge
    • View Profile
York Gaol Prison Records
« on: Tuesday 08 March 11 10:26 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to find out where the records are kept for York Gaol as my great grandparents were imprisoned there in 1909. So far I have tried the National Archives, North Yorkshire Records Office, York City Archives, Yorkshire County Council, York Castle Museum and the East Yorkshire Records Office - who directed me back to the National Archives!  If anyone has further suggestions where to try or indeed knows where they are I would be most grateful!

Many Thanks
Sharon
Abram - Scarborough
Kiff - Wales

Offline eborfamilyhistory

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: York Gaol Prison Records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 11:05 GMT (UK) »
You will probably be able to find records relating to why they were imprisoned either in the York quarter sessions records or the records of the York assizes.

The quarter session records are held by York Archives which are now part of the reference library above "York Explore" on Museum street. You may have to request what you want so that it is ready for you when you visit. Their phone number is 01904 552800.

The records for York Assizes are kept at The National Archives.

You may also be able to find out why they were there from the newspaper reports. The reference library (above "York Explore" on Museum street) holds the newspaper archives on microfilm and also has a card index for names mentioned in the newspapers. The card index is not a complete index; i.e. if the name isn't in the card index it may still be in the newspapers.

Hope that helps.
Paul

Offline shazadoobie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Smudge
    • View Profile
Re: York Gaol Prison Records
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the information Paul. I contacted the York Archives, they have found me a copy of a newspaper article from the Yorkshire Evening Press which they are sending to me. I already have a copy of an article from one of the Scarborough newspapers which gives details of my great grandparents prosecution by the NSPCC in June 1909 for neglecting their children.

I will get back to the York Archives and enquire about the quarter sessions.  I have a date so hopefully they can help.  As I live in Bedfordshire I find it rather difficult to research this side of the family and unfortunately have to rely on the 15 minutes of free searches most of them offer. 

I really appreciate your help, thank you.
Sharon
Abram - Scarborough
Kiff - Wales