Author Topic: Hopper Toronto brick wall  (Read 8732 times)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Hopper Toronto brick wall
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 March 11 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Just seen George and Annie on the 1881 census - their grandmother listed them as Irish which is interesting!

That may have been the enumerator listing the entire family as Irish since Ann Felstead identified herself as that.

On the 1891 census it has the place of birth of father listed as England for George and Ann Hopper.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 March 11 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Have you been able to find his entry into Canada?  I wonder if there might be additional information provided (it would probably be too early for added detail, though).
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 March 11 13:51 GMT (UK) »
There was a response to my post by another person if you want to check it out. I've asked a supplementary question as well.

Here's a link to the Attestation Papers referred to in the response:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0c99/
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0c9a/

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

Offline action49

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 March 11 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Wow this gets more convoluted by the minute! I wish I could knock 10 years off my age with impunity.  It certainly looks as if George snr wasnt the best of fathers.  Thank you so much for all the work you have done!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 March 11 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Wow this gets more convoluted by the minute! I wish I could knock 10 years off my age with impunity.  It certainly looks as if George snr wasnt the best of fathers.  Thank you so much for all the work you have done!

I wouldn't tar and feather him yet. It wasn't uncommon for the children to be raised by grandparents after the death of the mother especially when the children were so young. The only other options for a father at that time would be to immediately re-marry or have a relative move in to help with the kids.

Jacquie

Offline action49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 09:05 GMT (UK) »
OK, tar and feathers in abeyance.  Still searching for where he might have gone next but he seems pretty elusive!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 March 11 20:10 GMT (UK) »
There has been another response to my question at the Ancestry message board that the family story is that George returned to England and was a sailor there:
http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.felstead/19.3.1.1.1.1.2/mb.ashx

Jacquie

Offline action49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 18 March 11 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Jacqui, that's amazing, thank you!  At least now we have that definite link with the address and the butchering so the chances of this indeed being my man have increased to nigh on certainty!  I now have a whole lot of other digging to do.  I will add to that Felstead thread too.

I really do appreciate all your work! 

Angela