Author Topic: W hewitt Wilton photographers South Church Essex  (Read 4976 times)

Offline caron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
W hewitt Wilton photographers South Church Essex
« on: Wednesday 16 March 11 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Would any one be able to tell me when this photographers were at South Church Essex. I am trying to identify a carte visite photograph of a man in naval uniform.

Thank you
Mayhew of Coddenham,, Rogers of Southwark, Green of Leighton Buzzard. Greens of Islington.Challis of Southwark, Goddard Islington/Redgrave, Chamberlain of Kettering, Price of St Pancras, Selman of Middlesex. Dench of Littleport. Curtis southwark/Bristol

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: W hewitt Wilton photographers South Church Essex
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 March 11 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You could try this website

http://www.cartedevisite.co.uk/

or Rootschat Photograph Restoration & Dating board

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,298.0.html

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline caron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 March 11 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Valda for directing me to those sights. I did get a book out of the library regarding dating photographs but this web site will be useful to me as I havent got the book in my own collection. The back of the carte de vistes are very interesting.  Some of my oldest photographs have quite plain backs and the more recent ones are more intricate and have more information on them. One is a tin plate photo. The photo album from my gt gt grandfather is full of photos but with no names - how frustrating when doing family tree research. By looking at the back of the photos and seeing where the photos are taken I am trying to deduce who the people might be!
Mayhew of Coddenham,, Rogers of Southwark, Green of Leighton Buzzard. Greens of Islington.Challis of Southwark, Goddard Islington/Redgrave, Chamberlain of Kettering, Price of St Pancras, Selman of Middlesex. Dench of Littleport. Curtis southwark/Bristol

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 March 11 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi caron :)

Why not post a photo or two on the Dating and Restoration board - we are pretty good at pinning down a date!  Read this first, though:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,517366.0.html

Also (or alternatively) you could post the photo of your naval man on the Armed Forces board, they are great at identifying pictures.

Cheers
Prue

Offline mark54

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 05:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caron

I have just come across your message about the photograph of your ancestor.

I am interested to know whether you have been able to date the photo.

Wm Hewitt Wilton (full name William Arthur Hewitt Wilton) who took the photo was my great great grandfather who was born in London in 1823.

When he married in Bethnall Green in 1860 his occupation was given as a photographer. He moved shortly after to Southend, Shoeburyness and then to Southchurch (where he died in 1890).

During this 30 year period he worked as both a photographer and a musician (on the 1881 census he has stated that he is employed as a Professor of Music).  It has been reported that his wife Annie Eliza Wilton continued with William's photography business after he died (this is evidenced in the 1891 census, with Annie being shown as a photographer.

I have been fortunate  to have been able to download a small number of William's photos that have been advertised for sale on the internet.  All of these photos are military photos which appear to have been taken at the Shoebury Garrison and the dates were all given as circa 1870. I understand that not all of his work was of a military nature.

Regards

Mark Wilton

Melbourne, Australia

Offline caron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark Thank you for your reply.  I havent been able to date the photo yet but I believe the man to be William Munday from the Royal Horse Artillery, I think it may be in th 1870s.  I cannot post the photo on this Essex Look up Request board as it is not allowing me to.  I will post the picture on the Essex request board under W Hewitt Wilton photogtraphers South Church Essex so you can see it and add the picture to your file

Regards

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caron,
My suggestion still stands - if you want it dated, you could post it on Photo Restoration and Dating and we will be able to help you  :)

Why not post a photo or two on the Dating and Restoration board - we are pretty good at pinning down a date!  Read this first, though:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,517366.0.html

Also (or alternatively) you could post the photo of your naval man on the Armed Forces board, they are great at identifying pictures.

Cheers
Prue

Offline bobfilm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 12:54 BST (UK) »
To Mark Wilton

I am researching Photographers in Essex and would welcome a copy of the reverse of any photo which shows details of adress, etc.
There is a photo of Tea Tree Cottage at Seax - Essex Archives Online if you are interested.
Regards
Bobfilm :)
Researching East London & Essex Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers and Studios in Waltham Forest.

Offline mark54

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 01:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob

Thanks for the information about the photo of Tea Tree Cottage on SEAX. I have a relative living in Essex who will chase this up for me, if she hasn't accessed it already.

Unfortunately copies of any W Hewitt Wilton photos that I have, were sent to me via email, so I am unable to see a "reverse" of any of these.  I do have what could be the back of some photos which resembles a business card.  However all they say is
W. Hewitt Wilton
Shoebury School of Photography
Southchurch, Essex

It also has an edorsement on the cards saying - By Appointment to H.I.H the Prince Imperial and Prince Ibrahim

If you want copies of the business cards(?), please feel free to email me at wiltonmark@hotmail.com

Regards

Mark