Author Topic: Corrigan family deaths Fernie BC  (Read 11903 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Corrigan family deaths Fernie BC
« on: Friday 18 March 11 06:46 GMT (UK) »
While researching William and Roseann Corrigan,(MS also Corrigan), I have realised Roseanne's brother Owen Corrigan and wife Catherine and family also migrated to Fernie BC 1907/08 from Scotland. 

Owen first, then Catherine Corrigan, the wife and her children, travelled in 1908.

It appears that between 1908 and the Canadian 1911 census, Catherine dies, also possibly daughter Alice born 1900, and twins Patrick and Michael born 1907.

Could anyone help with finding info on these possible deaths?

Those were certainly hard years in Fernie - My William and Roseann lost young infants, Roseanne herself died in 1910.  It looks like Owen and Catherine Corrigan didn't fare any better? Any info would help.     
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Corrigan family deaths Fernie BC
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 March 11 07:32 GMT (UK) »
The LDS Family Search site - https://www.familysearch.org/ - has transcripts of British Columbia BMD registrations.

Catherine Johnson Corrigan, 44, born Chester, England died 8 Jan 1909 in Coal Creek, British Columbia.

There are also marriages and deaths for a number of their children. Nothing for Alice Corrigan and she wasn't with her mother and siblings on the passenger list so it's possible she died in Scotland. There is a death for Patrick Corrigan in Coal Creek, BC. He died 22 Sep 1908 at the age of 10 months. No parents are listed in the transcript. Michael Corrigan died at age 11 months on 17 Oct 1908 in Coal Creek.

There are 5 Corrigan marriages that list the parents as Owen and Catherine/Katherine. There is also one for Roseanne where her name was mistranscribed as Carrigan and Catherine's as Jamison. I also saw at least 4 more deaths which list Owen and Catherine as the parents but I didn't do further searches for other children who didn't have the parents listed or the names were mistranscribed.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 March 11 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggbill

I can look up the death registrations and give you a transcription of the documents.  However, I may not get to it until after May 10.  I've got a list of look ups to finish up before I leave on a month long vacation in early April and I'm not able to spend much time at the family history library these days due to work and family committments.

Susan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 March 11 07:58 GMT (UK) »
ScotlandsPeople has a death for an Alice Corrigan in Bellshill, Lanarkshire in 1901. Alice was under a year old. I didn't view the registration so I can't say for certain it's your Alice.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 March 11 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacquie,

Great find!!!  Thank you so much for finding the death,  - I had misread the families passenger list to Canada, in 1908, thought Alice was on it.    I think my brain had gone to mush - long lists of children of both families, with repetitive names...  hard to keep track.

And yes, it was my Alice -  Checked entry on SP, and she died age 10 months, just before Christmas!!  so you saved me time, and confusion - i had just never thought she had died so early on in Scotland.

Susan, if you could look up those deaths for me - it would be absolutely magic, no matter how long it takes. So we are now looking for Catherine Corrigan, age 40's, death between 1908 and 1911, and the same time period for Patrick and Michael Corrigan, twins born Scotland 1907. (and definitely on the passenger list with mother -hmmmmm, never thought, they could have died on board???)  Otherwise, presuming all 3  deaths were in Fernie BC or thereabouts.

Again, thank you very much for the offer of a lookup.

McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 March 11 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Susan,

the more I look at the 1911 Fernie BC census for my Owen Corrigan family, the more I see (or don't see !!!).
Mother Catherine isn't there - ? death
the twins Patrick and Michael (born 1907) - not listed
But..... also
The oldest child Theresa (born scotland 1892) - not listed - presuming she could have married.
But then Rose (born Scotland 1897) isn't on this census either - and she would only be about 14!  Where is she?  Not another death?  Oh dear, from 1908 to 1911, half the family seems to disappear - surely they couldn't have been so unlucky?

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 March 11 16:32 GMT (UK) »
A search of the pilot family search site brings up the following deaths and marriages:

Marriages
Theresa Corrigan, b 1892 Cambusland, Lanarkshire, daughter of Owen Corrigan and Catherine Joinson
James Corrigan, b 1893 Cambuslan, Lanarkshire, son of Owen Corrigan and Catherine Joinson
Elizabeth Corrigan, b 1896, Lanarkshire, daughter of Owen Corrigan and Catherine Jaoinson
Owen Corrigan, b 1899 Scotland, son of Owen Corrigan and Katherine Johnson
Peter Corrigan, b 1906 Scotland, son of Owen Corrigan and Catherine Joison
Harry Corrigan, b 1904 Scotland, son of Owen Corrigan and Catherine Joinson

Deaths
Catherine Johnson Corrigan, age 44, d Jan 8, 1909, Coal Creek, BC -- there are no parents' or spouse's names listed which could mean the informant was unrelated or the original document was illegible.

Owen Corrigan, b Mar 1860 Ireland, d Nov 24, 1931, Fernie, BC, son of Jas Corrigan and Mary Mcguire
Owen Corrigan, b Aug 8, 1899, d Aug 19, 1942, Fernie, BC, son of Owen Corrigan and Catherine Johnson
James Patrick Corrigan, b Sep 21, 1893, d Mar 7, 1963, Fernie, BC, son of Owen Corrigan and Catherine Joinson
Peter Corrican, b May 22, 1905, d May 26, 1967, Fernie, BC, son of Owen Corrigan and Catherine Joinson
Teresa Doratty, b. May 16, 1892, d Apr 10, 1978, Cranbrook, BC, daughter of Owen Peter Corrigan and Catherine Joinson

There may be others that have been mistranscribed...I didn't do a thorough search at this time.

I'll add these to my list and will do the look-ups as soon as I can but it will most likely be in mid-May.

Susan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 March 11 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Susan, if you look at my initial post there are additional entries - a marriage (Rose Ann) and two deaths (Patrick and Michael) - for this family (I made a typo in my initial post and put Peter instead of Patrick - I've fixed it now).

The children on the passenger list with Catherine were Rose, Owen, Henry, Peter, Patrick, Michael and Teresa. The children listed with Owen on the 1911 census in Coal Creek, BC were James, Elizabeth, Owen, Henry and Peter.

It looks like Owen and Catherine had 10 children altogether. Of the 10, 3 died in infancy (Alice, Patrick and Michael). Between Susan and myself, we have found 7 marriages (all in BC) and 7 deaths (6 in BC, 1 in Scotland).

I can't find a death for Rose Corrigan Brown but there are 3 deaths for children of Hugh Brown and Rose Corrigan in the BC Death Index.

I also can't find a death for Elizabeth Corrigan Ramshaw. It looks like she moved to England for a couple of years though. There is an incoming UK passenger list entry for Elizabeth Ramshaw (20) and infant daughter Katherine (1) (who list the address they are going to as Castleford, Yorkshire) arriving in Liverpool on 26 Dec 1915. Castleford is the area her husband was from. Elizabeth, Katherine and another child (a boy who is 9 months old - the page seems to have been accidently folded when being microfilmed and covers the name) returned to Canada on the Olympic arriving in Halifax on 20 Mar 1918.

Henry seems to be the other Corrigan that we can't find a death for in BC.

Jacquie

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 March 11 05:11 GMT (UK) »
Oh Jacquie and Susan,

How can I ever thank you ?   I have just come online, and found such an amazing amount of information - I haven't had the time to take it all in, will have to print out your replies and study ... 

And Jacquie - my sincere apologies, I actually didn't see your first posting - somehow I just managed to read Susans and missed yours out.....

You have both done such a wonderful job !  I am so pleased !!

And I ask myself - Will I never learn?  I tend to get stuck on SP info - and forget about Familysearch site...... (not having had success a few times with them, - it tends to go to the back of my memory banks!)....  I could blame it on dementia (but maybe I am not old enough yet, to get away with that excuse? 

I do value your expertise, and great generosity in finding out this info for me and if you have the time in May Susan, that would be great... but you have already both done so much... I just can't quite believe it!!

Just looking at info - the twins dying in Sept. and Oct of 1908 and the mother Catherine dying in January 1909...  Wonder about the causes of death.... what an incredibly hard life eh?