Author Topic: Jersey Look up Request  (Read 1877 times)

Offline KMD

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jersey Look up Request
« on: Friday 18 March 11 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find a birth of Violet Ford step daughter of Henry Thornhill and Nellie Thornhill appearing on 1911 census in South Molton Devon. She is showing as born in St Helliers Jersey in 1902. Is there also any evidence of a marriage between Henry and Nellie. Nellie according to the census was born in St Martins Jersey in 1883. Thornhill who may possibly be my great grandfather was in the Fort Regent barracks according to the 1901 census.

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
Re: Jersey Look up Request
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 November 11 05:28 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if I have exactly the answer you are looking for, as you had mentioned a Henry Thornhill,  but I found the military records of a Herbert John Thornhill, born 1881 in South Molton Devon. (On Ancestry UK website) which fits in with being married to a Nellie from Jersey.

On those records it states that Herbert's wife was Nellie Thornhill (nee Le Huqet or le Huget), and that they married 23/2/1903 in St Helier Jersey. (Church name not provided)

*Maybe some kind person in Jersey could check the Church and Registry Office entries in St Helier for you for this time frame; providing more information as to parents and Witnesses?

Herbert's address at the time of his enlistment in World War I was given as 21 West St, South Molton, Devon

No children are named.

I wonder what happened to Violet Ford after the 1911 Census?

Herbert originally joined the 4th Devon Regiment, Military #3884 on 28/11/1899 aged 18 years and 3 months.

At the time of the 1901 Census, he was posted to the Fort Regent Barracks in St Helier Jersey, where he must have met Nellie Le Huqet

On the original transcription of the 1911 Census, it is stated that Herbert (he is called H on this Census) and Nellie have been married 8 years (confirms the 1903 Jersey Wedding) and that Nellie has one daughter, Violet Ford aged 8 years, born St Helier Jersey (I don't know who the father of Nellie's daughter Violet was, as I was unable to find a Baptism in the St Helier records for her)

Hope that helps a bit
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale