Author Topic: Leonard & Michael Rolfe  (Read 2373 times)

Offline woody25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leonard & Michael Rolfe
« on: Sunday 20 March 11 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Please help with my brick wall?

My paternal grandfather Leonard Rolfe was allegedly from the USA, specifically Boston and born around 1885.

I have only a few facts I am afraid but I know he married my great grandmother in Eastbourne, England in November 1914 they had 3 children, moved to Paddington, London in 1917, had 2 further children and split/divorced after 1922. His father's name on the marriage certificate was Michael Rolfe.

I know of nothing prior to this nor after this time.  It is also alleged his father was German Jewish and his mother was Mexican, and he served in the US Medical Dental Corps. He may also have changed his name and deserted!!

I don't genuinely think I will ever get anywhere with this elusive ancestor of mine, but I just can't let go!

Any advice, tips or information would be very gratefully received.

AW
Kelly, O'Toole, McNally, Knight, Rolfe, Kimbell, Coomer, Jenyon, Wildman

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Leonard & Michael Rolfe
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 March 11 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello AW,

Have you any idea when Leonard arrived in the UK ?  Have scanned the passenger lists but could'nt see any sign of him.  Did he have any other siblings that you know of ?

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline woody25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 April 11 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra, apologies for the slow response I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out . 

I have no further details I am afraid, that side does not appear to have been a very close family. 

I don't suppose he would appear on the passenger lists if he had travelled to the UK with the military?

Thanks again

Regards

AW

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 April 11 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hello AW,

Yes, I have seen entries recorded for military people travelling from the USA to the UK on passenger lists but not every one would be recorded I don''t suppose.  Not many Leonard Rolfe travelling - one of that name and 44 years of age 22 December 1930 going to 30 Park Place. Margate. He was a 3 rd engineer and his country of last residence was Canada. Travelling with a Lillian Jane Rolfe who appears to be his wife.  Could this be yours and Leonard has remarried and lived in Canada  ??? Does'nt help to find his father Michael though  ???

Regards
Sandra

N.B> Amended his age to 44 years - sorry.   :(
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline woody25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 April 11 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra, I really don't know I would be inclined to say not but that's nothing but a hunch.  I am awaiting the death certificate of the second of the only two Leonard Rolfe's I have found that would be of a similar age on death and in England at the time but that is in 1954 and there is so little detail in the certs at that point, the other one I have is in 1945 and I think it may be the chap from the passenger list as his widow is L J Rolfe & the address is Margate but sadly no confirmation of his nationality  :-[  I am at a total loss and there seems no way to get hold of any further info it is very frustrating!

Thanks again for your help

Adrienne

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 April 11 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Adrienne,

Yes, looks as if  Leonard Rolfe matches with a marriage in 1922 in Basingstoke to Owen (2c533)  or Lilian Owen marries a Roilfe - Basingstoke (2c633) in June 1922  ???

Regards
Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 April 11 21:28 BST (UK) »
Just trying to prove or disprove  ??? if he could be the one.  Looks like they lived 892 Gayean Street. Windsor. Ontario from 1924 - 1928.
Lilian appears on a Canadian Passenger List going to that address in 1929 and names her sister as Mrs Ada Edwards, 49 Brock Road. Plaistow. London.
Lilian also appears on a Canada Form 30 Arrivals in 1924 although the address is a slightly different one:-1887 Howards Avenue. Windsor. Ontario going to husband Leonard Rolfe.
What was your Leonards occupation ?

Regards
Sandra

Offline woody25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 April 11 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra

Leonard's occupation ( extracted from the certs I have ) in 1914 when he married was Insurance Superintendent and when my grand father was born in 1919 he was a Commercial Traveler ( Surgical Instruments ) so he doesn't appear to have a specific career path.  I suppose the birth certificate of Betty who was born in Q1 1922 might have a different one again but I don't have the resources to get hold of that one at the moment, but it certainly doesn't point to engineering, sadly.

The second death cert arrived this morning and the chap of a similar age that it belongs to died in Essex and was a retired qualified anaesthetist so as with engineering I doubt he is the one as my Leonard does not appear the type to hang around for long enough to qualify for something so in depth as that, but I suppose he may have turned over a new leaf!

Sorry I can't provide anything more substantial  :-\

Thanks again

Adrienne