Author Topic: Ellen Sunderland Malone  (Read 6110 times)

Offline AthenaGr

• RootsChat Member
  • We live as long as we are remembered .
    • View Profile
Ellen Sunderland Malone
« on: Monday 21 March 11 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi , I am looking for help trying to find information about my Great grandmother Ellen Sunderland. In the 1901 and 1911 census she is listed as being from Carlow and Roman catholic. Her father was John Sunderland. I have no information on her mother nor can I find any information on her birth. From the census I would estimate that she was born in 1857 . She married my great grandfather Patrick Malone in 1878 and had 10 children . 
Malone  -  Dublin City
Sunderland  - Co Carlow
Byrne - Donnybrook/ Ballsbridge Co Dublin/ Wicklow
Nolan  - Dublin City
Kavanagh - Dublin Wicklow
Price - Dublin City
Timmins - Dublin City

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Sunderland Malone
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 March 11 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Ellen's birth would be before the start of civil registration so you will need to check for available church records. To do this you would need to know which parish her family lived in at the time of her birth..

Some parish records for Co. Carlow are available on www.irishgenealogy.ie, but they only have Church of Ireland records at the moment.

What's John Sunderland's occupation ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline AthenaGr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 March 11 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane. I guess I have reached a dead end so because I have no idea of what parish she was from. I actually found her marriage on irishgenealogy.ie .Unfortunately I don't know what her father's job was.
Thank you again Shane
Malone  -  Dublin City
Sunderland  - Co Carlow
Nolan  - Dublin City
Price - Dublin City
Timmins - Dublin City

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 March 11 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Sunderland is not a common surname in Co. Carlow and there's a possibility for her father listed on Griffith's valuation in Carlow town on a record dated 1852 - see : John Sunderland, Co. Carlow

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline AthenaGr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 March 11 21:26 GMT (UK) »
I am very new to genealogy ..3 weeks to be exact.. so I am not familiar with Griffith's valuation. would you mind explaining to me what it is ? Like from that would I be able to see what parish the were from?
Malone  -  Dublin City
Sunderland  - Co Carlow
Nolan  - Dublin City
Price - Dublin City
Timmins - Dublin City

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 March 11 21:34 GMT (UK) »
I am very new to genealogy ..3 weeks to be exact.. so I am not familiar with Griffith's valuation. would you mind explaining to me what it is ? Like from that would I be able to see what parish the were from?

Griffith's was a land valuation survey carried for taxation purposes between about 1847 and the early 1860s. It shows the owners or leasors of various properties at the time. The details included are the type of property and the size of any land held. The records are arranges by civil parish and townland. You can access this on http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

It's particularly useful with less common names as it can give you a possible starting point to follow up. The reason I asked about occupation is to check what type of property John might have held, as this can help narrow down the matches. e.g. farmers should have land, tradespeople would possibly be in towns with less land etc

see also : Introduction to Irish Records

RC Baptism and marriage records for Carlow town go back to the 1770s and are available in the National Library in Dublin. They also appear to be available in LDS centres - see : RC parish of Carlow  (Irish Times)

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 March 11 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Here are the probable references in case you wish to order a civil cert for the marriage of Ellen and Patrick - it would give occupations for Patrick and the two fathers.

Name: Ellen Sunderland
 Registration district: Dublin South
 Event type: Marriage
 Quarter and year: Apr-Jun 1878
 Volume :   2 / Page: 630

name: Patrick Malone
 [same references as Ellen]

here's the parish record for reference - link

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline AthenaGr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 March 11 21:46 GMT (UK) »
oh Thank you Shane that was really helpful . I will be home in May , hopefully not when the Queen and President Obama is there so that I will be able to move a round the city freely and be able to spend some time in the National Library etc. Yeah Shane I found that reference and I sent off for the cert. I made a mess of it though and had to call the Gro this morning to try to correct my mistake. I got confused because my 4 gr grandfathers are all called Patrick and I mixed up the surname on Ellen Sunderland's Patrick.  Thanks again.
Malone  -  Dublin City
Sunderland  - Co Carlow
Nolan  - Dublin City
Price - Dublin City
Timmins - Dublin City