Author Topic: Patrick Cain/Kane born Ireland  (Read 5457 times)

Offline portybelle

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick Cain/Kane born Ireland
« on: Tuesday 22 March 11 13:56 GMT (UK) »
I'm having a problem tracing some relatives with an Irish connection and don't know which Forum to put it on so thought this general one was a good start!

My Great Great Grandfather is Patrick Kane (originally) Cain who according to the 1891 Scotland census was born in Drumshanbo, Ireland. He is listed as a widower. He must have been born around 1845 and he died in Edinburgh in 1902. His parents are listed as Edward Cain and Mary Cain (McCran). He was a seaman. His wife was Eliza (ms Cullen). He is listed with four children all of whom were born in Liverpool:  Henry aged 17, Joseph (my great grandfather) aged 15, Peter aged 13 and Elizabeth aged 11. I have tried searching the previous two census for England but finding an Irish Patrick Kane is like looking for a needle in a haystack! As I can't check birth/marriage/death records online as I can with Scottish records I am at a bit of a dead end!

I am hoping that someone else will have been researching the family and have more info or can point me in another direction. Thanks.
East Lothian/Midlothian
Cowe, Cameron, Storie/Storey, Powell,
McCaskell, Kane/Cain, Howden, Duncan

For OH: East Lothian Ayrshire
Baird, Kyle, Reilly, Routledge
Mackie,Wallace, Wood, Dickson, Burrell, Brown, Darling

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Cain/Kane born Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Drumshanbo is in Co. Leitrim but since Patrick's birth is before the start of full civil registration you would need to check for available church records. Do you know the family religion ?

see :  Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this will help you any working back but there is an on line tree (on Ancestry) for a possible sister to Patrick called Mary born c. 1844 in Ireland to the same parents, death in Leith in June 1901. Also based in Midlothian with her family so you should be able to verify these details for yourself.

This is the 1871 census entry that is given for her and family - the children all show as born in Leith:

Francis Mcgovern 27, coal porter b. Ireland
Mary Mcgovern 27 b. Ireland
Mary Mcgovern 8
James Mcgovern 5
Eliza Mcgovern 3 Months

Address: 4 St Andrews Wynd, Leith

There are some IGI entries that seem to support this. There also looks to be some confusion as to whether husband's name was James or Francis (maybe he went by both) as there IGI births for their children under both James or Francis for father. The marriage, with groom as James, I think shows in Leith on 23 June 1862, with a James MCGOVAN marrying a Mary Cain. Lots of spelling variations showing for the McGovern surname, so you will need to use the exact spelling showing on IGI to find them on SP (McGovan/McGovarn/McGoveran for example, or search as McG*v*n on SP).

Possibility that for 1891 census in Leith, mother Mary Cain is now living with daughter:

Mary McGovern 49, Mill Worker (Flax) b. Ireland
James McGovern 26, Dock Labourer b. Leith
Mary Cain 83, mother b. Ireland
Thomas Buchan 32 boarder

Address: 59 Bonnington Road, Leith

Can't easily see the death of Mary Cain on SP which is showng as being in 1893 in Leith (parents John McCrann and Cecilia Padon). The only details for husband/father Edward are potential parents Owen Keon and Bridget Martin - no source info on this though.

Something to work on....!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline portybelle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 14:50 GMT (UK) »
That's fantastic - thank you. Will certainly look further into that line. That might explain why Patrick moved from Liverpool to Leith after he was widowed - perhaps his sister and mother helped look after his children. Patrick and his family in 1891 are at St Andrew Street so just round the corner.

I've only looked at the free version of Ancestry in the library as it's not the best for Scottish records. Is the tree on the subscription version?

Excuse my ignorance but what is IGI? ??? My searching so far has been through te records offcie and Scotland's People and that's not an abbreviation I've come across before.

Regarding family religion as mentioned above by ShaneW - Roman Catholic. Can I do some searching online in Church records? Haven't followed your link yet!
East Lothian/Midlothian

Baird, Kyle, Reilly, Routledge
Mackie,Wallace, Wood, Dickson, Burrell, Brown, Darling

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 14:56 GMT (UK) »
IGI is the International Genealogical Index, from the LDS site which is available to search for free. It is a great resource for Scottish birth and marriages, particularly that period of 1855-74ish, post the start of official registration. It is only an index, the main source for BMDs is as you know SP/GROS.

The main search screen is here www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

It is very good at picking up on spelling variations automatically, but not 100%.

Monica

PS: The on line tree I think is only available if you have a subscription to Ancestry. I don't think the library versions let you access this part.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 15:35 GMT (UK) »
The town of Drumshanbo is in the RC parish of Kiltoghart, and baptism records go back to 1826, marriages to 1832. There is also some deaths included in this parish register. For details of the record available see : RC parish of Kiltoghart (Irish Times)

The records are available to view in the National Library in Dublin. Some dates are also on LDS films. The only source online for transcripts of these at the moment is the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation at : http://www.rootsireland.ie

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline portybelle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - much appreciated.
East Lothian/Midlothian