Author Topic: Thomas BICKERTON 1806 - ?  (Read 4017 times)

Offline enfrance

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas BICKERTON 1806 - ?
« on: Wednesday 23 March 11 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Bickerton, my GG Grandfather, born 1806 in Elton, Cheshire.

He lived in Ettiley Heath, was married twice, the first time abt 1830 to Mary ? (born abt 1801) who died in 1848.

His second marriage in 1853 was to Elizabeth Newton at Congleton, Cheshire. She was born Merril, then married Robert Newton. Elizabeth is often shown as Bessey or Bettsey.

I cannot find Thomas's death record. It seems likely that he would have died in the Congleton area because Elizabeth is shown still at Ettiley Heath in the 1861 census by which time Thomas had died.

As usual any help would be greatly appreciated.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas BICKERTON 1806 - ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 19:04 GMT (UK) »
There is a death in 1856 in Nantwich Registration district but he was buried 17.11.1856 and was too old at 68 to be your Thomas

There is a burial recorded 17.2.1860 at St Peter - Elworth nr Sandbach - that Thomas Bickerton was 57yrs old

In 1851 - your Thomas was 48yrs so birthyear 1803

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi enfrance.

I have a Thomas Bickerton b. abt 1803 on the outskirts of my tree and had come to the same conclusions as yourself.

There's a probate of a will for a Thomas Bickerton of Ettiley Heath at Cheshire Records Office :-

Testator died 13 FEB 1860 at Ettiley Heath, Sandbach.
Proved at Chester 28 FEB 1860
Extracted by William Latham. Solcr. Sandbach
Sworn under £20 and that the Testator died on or about 13th day of February 1860

There's a burial at St Peter's Elworth 17th FEB 1860 (Family Search)

Wife's name given on the Will  given as Bessey, but I'm perplexed by the mention of "my daughter Pheobe Penn to whom I bequeath one shilling only"

odessa.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 23:49 GMT (UK) »
From my reply above

There is a burial recorded 17.2.1860 at St Peter - Elworth nr Sandbach - that Thomas Bickerton was 57yrs old

In 1851 - your Thomas was 48yrs so birthyear 1803

But what is odd - there is no GRO index entry in the March qtr 1860 for a Thomas Bickerton but there is an entry in the March qtr for an Edward Bickerton Congleton 8A 219
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Tipple

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 March 11 00:02 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hi,

Do you know there is a pub called the "Bickerton Poacher"?

I can't remember excatly where it is, but it is certainly in Mid-Cheshire.

Tipple
 :)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 March 11 11:28 GMT (UK) »
:) Hi,

Do you know there is a pub called the "Bickerton Poacher"?

I can't remember excatly where it is, but it is certainly in Mid-Cheshire.

Tipple
 :)
it would appear there are 2...one in Malpas ,Chester ....and
http://www.thegoodpubguide.co.uk/pub/view/Bickerton-Poacher-SY14-8BE

the only Thomas Bickerton I can find who married a Mary in Cheshire from 1820 to 1830 is
3rd february 1823  at Warmingham ,Cheshire to Mary EGERTON.....this would make Mary 22 and Thomas 16 or 17....seems unlikely...but possible...Warmingham is 4 miles outside Sanbach...so not too far from Congleton
allan ???
ADDED....Mapquest UK states 5  miles from Warmingham to Congleton...so I would keep it on a piece of paper as a possible...can I ask where you got your info that Thomas was born 1806 ?? and Mary was born 1801??...if it was the 1841 census , are you aware that a leeway of 5 years was tolerated because of peoples ignorance ...so Thomas and Mary would have been born BETWEEN 1801 and 1806 inclusive.....allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 March 11 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Re the death CaroleW has found in ELWORTH ...Nr Sandbach....Elworth is less than 3 miles from Warmingham....looks a likely death to me and the 1803 birth would be right for the marriage of Thomas Bickerton to Mary Egerton....he would be 20...and Mary abt 22....I think these 2 records are worth you looking into...
allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline enfrance

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 March 11 15:32 GMT (UK) »
CaroleW, it does look like the 1860 death is my Thomas Bickerton. And Odessa, you will recall you kindly helped me with the later Thomas Henry back in October and have again provided me with lots of info.

Obviously I wouldn’t like to judge my ancestors but perhaps Thomas was a bit of a lad, married twice – whoops, like me – and maybe . . . . . .  hence Phoebe. My youngest grand daughter's name :o

Although Penn hasn’t appeared in any of my research.

Allan, I must look up why I had his birth down as 1806 but 1803 would obviously fit the ages better and Bessey, his second wife came from Warmingham so no problem with that.

My quest with the GRO was fruitless so very many thanks to you all for these results.

Tipple – what an apt name! – I must make a point of visiting at least one of the Bickerton-Poacher pubs next time we’re in the UK. ;)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 March 11 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Christening;
(Source Familysearch Pilot)
Phebe BICKERTON, 18 January 1824, Warmingham, Cheshire, to THOMAS/MARY

Although I cant find a Bickerton/Penn Marriage the 1851/1861 Census has a Phebe/Phoebe Penn born c 1822, Sandbach, Cheshire, living in Wolverhampton, Staffordshire with her Husband James born c 1819/20, Worcestershire.

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)