Author Topic: Wooley/Woolley and Browne  (Read 3070 times)

Offline mchopper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wooley/Woolley and Browne
« on: Saturday 26 March 11 18:28 GMT (UK) »
I have a family that has been very difficult to trace.  Emily Wooley married Richard Browne in 1814, Niagara, Canada.  They had several children.

Richard Browne was born about 1788 in Ireland and was supposedly from a respectable Mercantile family.  When Richard joined the British Army, they repeatedly tried to buy his release against his wishes.  That is pretty much all I know about the man before his arrival in Canada.

Emily Wooley/Woolley was born Oct 24 1796 in either New York or New Jersey.  Her father was Issac Wooley and her mother was Elizabeth.  Isaac was born in Ireland and his wife in the USA.  I have never been able to find a single thing on Isaac or his wife.

I hope someone can help.  Thanks.
Lori

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Wooley/Woolley and Browne
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 March 11 03:32 BST (UK) »
From the wording of your post, are you only looking for information on Richard before he came to Canada and on Emily's parents? Do you already have census and BMD information on Richard, Emily and their children?

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline mchopper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 March 11 14:19 BST (UK) »
I have found info on their descendants but not their ancestors.  Its very frustrating when you can't get back any further.

Offline vbain

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 March 11 17:04 BST (UK) »
I find Emily woolley in Elgin County      Malahide   EL-435
I also  find emily as Richard's widow in Lambton       also a son to Emily and Richard BROWNE, Francis Albert (s/o Richard Browne)   St James Anglican, Watford   Lambton   Brooke   LB-993-7
http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/search.php
The URL will help you find them in Lambton. The Number of the grave will you enable to find transcriptions, perhaps from the library or from the Lambton Genweb

Offline vbain

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 March 11 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Just a few suggestions -

I had a similar question about an Irish ancestor, born at the end of the 1700s and in the military.   I found out where he was born and some information about his life before coming to Canada by looking at:

1.  cemetery transcripts (my ancestor's tombstone mentioned his military service)
2.  local history books (someone who is in Canada that early is a real pioneer.  There will likely be references to him in local history books - check with the library in the place where he settled.  Do you know if he stayed in Niagara- or did he move to Lambton as is suggested above?)
3.  military records. (if you know anything at all about his military service, someone on the military board may be able to help you find more.  Perhaps there is a military service record for your ancestor that will give his place of birth and details of where and when he served.)

As for the military - Niagara was a real "hot spot" in the War of 1812. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_George,_Ontario

It is very interesting that he married an American lady.   :) 
New York state is right across the river from Niagara.   
RK   

Offline mchopper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 March 11 17:49 BST (UK) »
Emily's family had moved to Canada around 1800 so they actually met there.  I have checked allt he sources you mentioned and have been unsuccessful.  I do know that Richard was in the war of 1812, but there doesn't seem to be any info about him.

Oh well, I guess I will just have to accept the fact that this family will go no further back.

Thanks

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pte. Alexander McCalmont C.E.F. 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 March 11 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If Richard was in the British Army you may find his military records at the National Archives.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

You might also contact the Niagara Falls Library. Their history department is great including the War of 1812.

http://www.nflibrary.ca/LocationsHours/VictoriaAvenueLibrary/tabid/84/Default.aspx

Good hunting.
Islandmagee, County Antrim, Ireland