Author Topic: Mary McClure and George Charles Banks  (Read 4884 times)

Offline RareSheel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary McClure and George Charles Banks
« on: Sunday 27 March 11 02:12 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone i'm not sure where to place this message
 George Charles was born about 1842/43 Paulton Somerset but don't know where Mary was born althoigh she was born about 1853. I have looked on Ancestry and most people on their have placed Mary's birth in Co Down Ireland. I have found a Mary McClure in Scotland on the 1871 Census as a servant aged 18 but not sure whether it is the right person.Can anone help where she was born and where they got married please..Mary McClure and George had 2 children one born in Wigan in 1876 and the other born in 1877 in Monk Bretton Barnsley Yorkshire.Mary died in Monk Bretton 1880 aged 27 i have her death certificate. I have James's birth certificate mother is named has Mary McClure. George then married prusumely his sister-in-law in 1881 who was Margaret Elizabeth McClorey in the Parish of Walton on the Hill Lancashire this didn't last long as i'm sure it was illegal to marry your In laws at that time. He then married Mary Ann Slater  in 1882 in Barnsley Yorkshire. Mary Ann Married Joseph Popple who died in Monk Bretton Pit in 1879. George and Mary Ann had a child out of wedlock (my grand father) Sorry for the long messge.  I have all the infomation after Mary McClure died about the other marriages and children of the 2 marriages. Thank you for any help.
I hope this meassage hasn't doubled up as i tried to post earlier but the site was busy and i couldn't get in.
Sheel

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary McClure and George Charles Banks
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 March 11 06:09 BST (UK) »
Hello  :)

I assume that you have seen the 1881 Census?

George (a widower) and the children living with his sister-in-law ? M'Cleury, unmarried, 23 year old general servant, born County Down, Ireland

RG11 Piece 4605 Folio 141 Page 34

There's a Mary McLure age abt 21 born Belfast, on 1871 living in Altrincham, Lancashire, a servant for John and Hannah Ambler

RG10 Piece 3682 Folio 132 Page 19

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 March 11 06:33 BST (UK) »
Marriage of George C Banks and Margaret E McClarey in 1881 at St James, Toxteth Park
Ref 2105TP/11/246  from Lancashire BMD

As you say, until 1907 it was not legal for a widower to marry his wife's sister.

Offline RareSheel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 March 11 13:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you Morganllan yes i've seen the 1881 census where George is living with his 2 children Wiliam and James and his siter-in-law McCleury i have George and Margaret Elizabeth McCleury  marriage certificate. I'm not sure about the Mary McLure in the 1871 census aged 21 as it doesn't seem to fit when she died 3rd March  1880 aged 27 so i presume she was born about 1853.
Sheel

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 March 11 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheel  :)

The age difference is not that great between census info and the death certificate so don't rule it out yet. If you have the Father's name and occupation from the marriage to Margaret, it may be worth posting on here or on Ireland - Down board. If you could trace Margaret on 1871 census or earlier you may find Mary too.

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline RareSheel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 March 11 14:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you Morganllan ithink you are right the age difference isn't that great and i won't rule it out just yet.
 The fathner's name of Margaret McClorey was Martin he was a farmer. Margaret was 24 when she married George Charles Banks on June 6th 1881.
Sheel

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 March 11 22:07 BST (UK) »
Interesting! There's a Martin McClorey, age 50 a Labourer, and boarder in Toxteth Park on 1861 (Born Ireland abt 1811)

RG9 Piece 2699 Folio 80 Page 8

and on 1871, looks like the same person
Martin McClorray age 60, Lodger, Labourer, in Toxteth Park

RG10 Piece 3793 Folio 18 Page 30

Perhaps he was a farm labourer  :-\  some of mine are described as labourer on census and farmer on BMD certificates.

Offline RareSheel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 March 11 23:48 BST (UK) »
I haven't found Martin on the census yet but will have a look again another day.
I have found a few Mary McClures as servants in Scotland but as we cann't see the proper census for Scotland it's hard to find if these are the right Mary. I still can't find Mary McClure Marrying George Charles or where yet and i don't know where to look for their marriage, any infomation or ideas they would be most gratefully appreciated.
Sheel

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 March 11 23:55 BST (UK) »
Your Mary and Margaret were probably born County Down, Northern Ireland, and lived in Lancashire and Yorkshire so probably the Scottish ones are unlikely  :-\