Author Topic: Elsie Peaker, british home child 1913, help needed please  (Read 2008 times)

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elsie Peaker, british home child 1913, help needed please
« on: Sunday 27 March 11 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Ive found out that my Gt Aunt Elsie Peaker was sent to Canada in 1913 from England as a british home child, i am wondering if anyone can help me find out what happend to her between coming to canada in 1913 and her marrying in 1920 Niagra Falls, New York.

Elsie Peaker born 23 Aug 1900 parents James Arthur Peaker and Lilly Morton, Leeds West Yorkshire, 13 June sets of to Canada on st Barnardo's list, aged 12. in 1918 has a child Hubert Peaker, in Canada, in March 1920 marry's Charles Crawley and he adopts Hubert and changes name to Norman John Hubert Crawley, i have her after this right up to her death, but would like to know what happend once arrived, and before marriage. is there anywhere i can find out census etc.

much help greatly appriciated

Weenie
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Elsie Peaker, british home child 1913, help needed please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 March 11 22:05 BST (UK) »
The last national census for Canada that is available is 1911.

Have you ordered her Bernardo's file?

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 March 11 22:07 BST (UK) »
i dint know they have a Barnado's file, where would i get it from please?

Thankx Weenie
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 March 11 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is a thread under the "Canada Resources" heading that has many great links for researching home children. 

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,355348.0.html

When Elsie and Hubert go to the US in 1920 for the marriage, the record says she is 23, a domestic, and lives in St. Davids, Ontario.  This is just outside of Niagara Falls, Ontario.   A note on the back of the card says that Hubert is 2 and was born in Toronto.   

RK :)     

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 March 11 08:28 BST (UK) »
Thankyou so much for the information

Weenie