Author Topic: Woking Invalid Prison in Surrey  (Read 14163 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Woking Invalid Prison in Surrey
« on: Monday 28 March 11 13:49 BST (UK) »
I am  trying to research a person who was sentenced and spent time at this prison.

I have a copy of the Calender of Prisioners from Kew which I got several years ago, however they informed me they didn't hold the prison records.

I then wrote to Surrey records office as I wanted to find out where the actual prison records are kept and never got a straighforward answer of if they had them or not, just opening times and address to visit ( not possible right now)

I was hoping someone who knew Surrey records system and possibly knew where these records are kept or likely to be kept. I would dearly love a copy of his prison record where hopefully there will also be a photograph of him but I first need to find them

TIA
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: Woking Invalid Prison in Surrey
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 March 11 18:58 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if it was you who made a similar enquiry on B-G Forums some time ago but a Google search brought up this answer,

The National Archives have criminal registers covering Woking. See the National Archives catalogue under PCOM 2/141 et seq.

Piece 145 may be the one you're interested in

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...accessmethod=5

The PCOM 2 series has this description: "Registers of prisoners and habitual criminals, photograph albums, minute books, visitors' books, order books, journals, assizes and quarter sessions calendars and other records relating to various prisons in England and Wales, to Gibraltar prison and to some ship prisons"

This research guide explains how to research criminals -

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=120

If we knew the name & a few dates we might be able to find something about him via another route.
It's quite possible that what you're looking for doesn't exist, if it does I'm sure it would be at Kew rather than at SHC,

Jane

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 March 11 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

His name was William Blay he was convicted at Lincoln Assizes( I have a copy of his crime/plea/sentence which was 7 years) in March 1876 aged 45, he is in Working Invalid prison on the 1881 census....

Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 10:39 BST (UK) »
I think your best bet is to have a look at TNA site to see what exists (link above)
It seems you have quite a lot of information already  :)  Have you found him on subsequent censuses he would have been released in 1883?

Jane

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

I have a copy of his calender of prisoner Assizes trail which tells me what he was charged with, what sentence he got in Lincoln, his job, age and the entry in 1881 census which he is named as an inmate in Working as I didn't know where he was sent until then,  his married date, name of bride however that is all I have on him, so I am not sure when/if he was released....... I would also like to see his prison record as it was an 'invalid' prison and I wonder why he was sent to an invalid prison as he was a Postmaster prior so it is therefore unlikely he was illiterate or mentally disabled.

I have not seen the 'B-G Forum before and what link to the 'TNA' site?(National Archives?) When I was there before they told me Woking Invalid Prision records were not there, unless they have since acquired them.............

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 17:32 BST (UK) »
Sorry both of those links didn't go anywhere  :-\

It goes to show you learn something new every day  :)  I had never heard of Woking Invalid Prison or knew what it's purpose might be but with a little investigation & good 'ole Google, I'm now a little wiser!
Yes, TNA=The National Archives.  They seem to have registers that might help you but only for 1876 nothing after that date.  Having said that I found this reference, The National Archives references are:
Woking Prison registers of prisoners 1846-89 (PCOM 2/141-151)

(You need to search their catalogue)
Home Office: Convict Hulks, Convict Prisons and Cr... HO 8/207/ Woking Invalid, Surrey . Quarterly returns of prisoners in convict prisons and criminal lunatic asylums: convict prisons and criminal lunatic asylums given at item level Woking Invalid, Surrey
Date: 1876
Source: The Catalogue of The National Archives
There was also this thread on the Sussex page of Rootschat from 2008 which, although it's about Lewes Invalid Prison, it will give you some good background.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,283513.0.html

Also this blog.  Worth noting that the prison was also refered to as Knaphill prison.

http://wokingprison.blogspot.com/2009/04/revelation.html

Jane

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 18:21 BST (UK) »
I think William might have died in 1888.  There's a likely death reg. for a William Blay, Q3 1888, Spilsby, age 58 (7a 307)  Strickney comes under Spilsby reg. district.
Ann his wife is widowed by the 1891 census,

Jane

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

Thank you for that, yes it is obvious TNA, my brain goes deeeerrrrrr every now and again. You said you copied the link so although it didn't work I did search again and look....I think there must be something there ( now) unless of course he was sent else where first, in which case if it is only up to 1876so it may be worth me searching the Blacksheep website and see if I can find anything else....this is when we need a census annually ;D

Although I have looked before and found some links to the prison ( information about it) I looked again today and found a great link, ( same as you have given me http://wokingprison.blogspot.com ) and I will have a read of the other one...and this evening I looked and found the death...but wasn't sure it was the 'right' Wm Blay, but with you saying Ann was widowd on the 1891 it looks like it is likely to be the correct one, so thank you for that, every little bit of the jigsaw helps.....I am just hoping I can find his record and there is a photgraph in it....as that may answer many doubts I have had for years.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 21:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the links to the other question, when I saw http://www.housesinwoking.com/pages/stjohns.htm and the mention of Inkerman  (same place as Woking Invalid Prison) I couldn't believe it... unfortunately the link didn't work, so I reduced it to the basic site (www.housesinwoking.com) and found it is now an estate agent selling 'houses in Woking'..Oh well..................