Author Topic: Looking for the RUSSELL family of Lanarkshire area  (Read 13681 times)

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the RUSSELL family of Lanarkshire area
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 10:10 BST (UK) »
Dianne,

Just in case your not familiar with the term LFHS is the Lanarkshire Family History Society.
http://www.lanarkshirefhs.org.uk/
The publication of the Holytown Parish Church MI's is still in the process of being checked before publishing however if you email them  - research-lanarkshirefhs[at]hotmail.co.uk (replace [at] with @) I'm sure they will help you out.
You can also follow them on facebook -
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lanarkshire-Family-History-Society/118076764933738

Gerry
Farrell / Mcpolan / Devlin / Flood / Kelly/ McGovern/ McCormick
Letham / Leatham / Cattanach/ ODonnell/ BoyleRoss/ McLeod
McAnaw/McInaw/McNay/ Finn/ Eliott
Pollock / Hyslop/ Elder/ Renfrew/ Hart/ Brydon

Motherwell / Anderson / Tradeston / Govan/ Bridgegate/ Aberdeen / Old Machar/ Lanarkshire/ Leadhills/ Penpont/ Muirkirk

1st Royals

Offline Biddydi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 18 April 11 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hello one and all:
Pretty sure I have tracked down my mom's dad. His name is ANDREW HORN.
He was 21 years of age when mom was born in 1915 in Newarthill and the only one of child bearing years at that time.
His home was listed as Newarthill, Lanarkshire. 
I cannot access the 1911 census as yet. Can someone tell me who he was living with in Newarthill in the 1911 census together with his address? His mom, dad and any siblings?
Also on the 1901 census.
Dianne

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 18 April 11 13:10 BST (UK) »
Dianne the 1911 census is only available on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

The 1901 census has no entries for Newarthill but there is this entry

James Horn 40
Agnes Horn 36
Alexander Horn 18
John Horn 16
James Horn 13
Allan Horn 8
Andrew Horn  3

Address: 279 Caledonian Rd

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 23:42 BST (UK) »
1911 census index has a possible

1911 HORN ANDREW Male aged 21 at HOLYTOWN /LANARK

Offline Biddydi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Sancti:

That could possibly be him. Although he would have then been 25 when mom was born in 1915 not 21 as shown on her BC.

The 2 Andrew Horns on the 1901 census would have been 17 when mom was born.

I will try and get the printout for the 1911 census for my 21 year old in Holytown/Lanark. Quite possibly he could have lied about his age at the time of the birth.

I think this is going to be a real puzzle for sure.

???

Offline IainW81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 09 November 12 19:26 GMT (UK) »
You don't happen to know any details about this Jane Craig do you? I have a relation, David Craig who was married and lived in the Bothwell parish from when he was married in 1858, to sometime in the 1870s. He was originally from Ireland. His mother-in-law Mary (nee McCulloch) Major died in Jack's Land in 1889 and his sister-in-law Margaret Major married into the Jack family in 1863.

I found this thread by Googling for Jack's Land. Just wondering if the Craig was any connection, as David hasn't got any family that I can find. I just know his parents from his marriage and death certificates.

Iain
Mitchell and Perry in N.Ireland and Scotland. McLaren and Hamilton in Scotland. Craig and Major in N.Ireland and Scotland. McIntosh and Paton in Fife.

Offline Biddydi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 10 November 12 20:33 GMT (UK) »
I believe Jane Craig was my great great grandmother.

I do not have her brothers and sisters info but here is what I have of her marriage in my line.

James Jack and Jane Craig married on the first year of official registration in Scotland, in 1855. Marriage date is showing as 8 June 1855 in Bothwell on IGI, an image of this will be available on SP. As with Robert Russell, Jane Scott Jack looks to be the eldest born. Children showing to them on IGI, all in Bothwell, Lanarkshire:

1. Jane SCOTT JACK 26 SEP 1856
2. William JACK 19 NOV 1858
3. Helen THOMSON JACK 17 OCT 1860
4. Robert CRAIG JACK 2 MAR 1863
5. James HILL JACK 9 MAY 1865
6. Robert CRAIG JACK 11 OCT 1867
7. Mary HILL JACK13 SEP 1869
8. Martha CRAIG JACK 30 NOV 1871
9. George THOMSON JACK 21 JAN 1874

Offline IainW81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 10 November 12 21:37 GMT (UK) »
I managed to work out that James Jack was the brother of Thomas Jack, who married my relation Margaret Major. The Craig connection isn't there though, I've discovered on ancestry.com that those Craigs came from Ayrshire, not Ireland where mine are from, so that blows my theory out of the water. Never mind! :)
Mitchell and Perry in N.Ireland and Scotland. McLaren and Hamilton in Scotland. Craig and Major in N.Ireland and Scotland. McIntosh and Paton in Fife.

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 20 April 13 20:47 BST (UK) »
Looking for some help in finding information on George Thomson Jack death (mentioned in this thread).  I am helping a friend with their family tree.

I have his death certificate from SP on 5th February 1917 from accidental injuries at Glencleland Colliery. I can't find any other information about the accident. I would really appreciate any help at all.

I have also downloaded George's brother's death certificate from SP in 1913. Death at same colliery. Extract from Scottish mining site.

15 & 16 July 1913
Fatal Colliery Accidents - A fatal accident occurred yesterday at Gateside colliery, Cambuslang, which is owned by the Flemington Coal Company (Limited.) A miner named James Morton (40). 56 Park Street, Cambuslang, was engaged working with another miner at a ten-ton coal-cutting machine when he was caught in the machine, which is driven by electric current, and was killed. While James Hill Jack was at work in Messrs Kerr & Mitchell's Glencleland colliery a dislodged piece of rock fell upon him from the roof. He was removed to the pit bank, where he died. [Scotsman 18 July 1913]
NB James Hill Jacks death was registered as due to heart failure following accident
http://scottishmining.co.uk/341.html

Thanks so much
Murphyz