Author Topic: Identify photo items please  (Read 3780 times)

Offline Storm™

• RootsChat Member
  • John Patrick Cox b. 17th March 1906 - My Grandad
    • View Profile
Identify photo items please
« on: Wednesday 30 March 11 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi please could you identify things in this photo for me. The photo is I think my grandfather. Well one of them may be. However he may also be the one who took the photos.

This may mean that the ship is the William Scoresby. It may not be though.

There is a flag which may be a dingy ensign on the ship next door. There is a war vessel in the background which I have no idea about. The uniforms they are wearing I am unfamiliar with and many other things. Feel free to enlarge/focus reproduce the picture as you see fit. Many thanks in advance.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Identify photo items please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 13:47 BST (UK) »
What an interesting photo...thanks for sharing...it might be a good idea to post it on the Armed Forces Board  too:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,300.0.html

Carol

* Moderator Comment:  Topic moved to Armed Forces *
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 14:13 BST (UK) »
Going by the second photograph it looks like he was a gun layer with at least eight years service in the RN.

OR.
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Peter J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 14:36 BST (UK) »
Going by the second photograph it looks like he was a gun layer with at least eight years service in the RN.

OR.

Agreed; this man was a Layer Rating, 2nd Class, as denoted by the badge on his right arm...

JONES [East London, Deal & Dover, Kent]
CROWHURST [Sussex & Kent]
GOYMER [Deal & Dover, Kent]
NEWSOM(E) [Kent]
GUY [Kent]
EZRA [St. Pancras & East London]
LINDSEY [North London & East London]
ARKELL [Glos. & East London]
CURTIN, O’SHEA, JAGOE, DONOVAN [Cork City, Ireland]

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 17:17 BST (UK) »
I think the flag on the stern of the ship is the Royal Navy ensign.

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Storm™

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 March 11 09:29 BST (UK) »
Many thanks folks was interesting to find out that info - I tried to do as requested and post on the armed forces thread - failed -

Same file name already uploaded - renamed files tried again - same result. Tried again same result lol - an hour later gave up. But thanks very much for your help on here.

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 March 11 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

I believe that the warship in the background could be either HMS Repulse or HMS Renown. Although the silhouette looks right I can find no photographic evidence that either wore this particular camouflage pattern, which raises a question mark over the identification in my mind.

As to the men in the photograph, both appear to be Petty Officers, so unless your grandfather achieved this rank it is unlikely that he is either.

Your grandfather must have been in the Navy prior to the war, because he is wearing the ribbon for the RN Long Service Good Conduct medal. It is interesting that he served on HMS William Scoresby, because if it was prior to 1941 he may well have also qualified for the Polar Medal. Any chance of a name?

Offline Storm™

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 March 11 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Crimea

Ahhhhhh i see I have muddied the waters a little with my poor explanation.

The photo of the man in Royal Navy Uniform was my grandfathers brother - his name was Tom Cox (the navy man - gun layer)

The other photo of the men on the ship with the ship in the background I suspect of being William Scoresby and have no idea about the ship in the background other than what you have supplied.

My grandfather was Known as Patrick Cox but was born John Patrick Cox. He was definitely on the William Scoresby - also Southern Pride and the John Bisco. Amongst others. But first I think it was William Scoresby. He was a donkeyman greaser by trade and made it up to chief after time, but not I think on the W/Scoresby. I think he was on it in the 30's. He brought back whales teeth and also a whales eardrum which everyone remembers in the family, the eardrum went missing and I have the teeth. Also he spent time down at the Falklands where I think the photo with the men in was taken. Just a gut feeling is all. But if I could use your info and tie that in with the William Scoresby's movements it may identify a date which would be exciting. I think my grandfather is the one holding the camera perhaps and the two men are his shipmates/superiors.

He was on a ship that was torpedoed as some point because his wife (my nan) Maude Cox nee Baker - received her lost at sea telegram. 6 months later he walked through the door. He was also but of the small ships flotilla at Dunkirk. He would never talk about it. His best friend told my nan to never ask him about it. When she asked why - his best friend said that it was so bad, they were tying the dead to each other because they floated, and using them as rafts to get the survivors on board the small ships.

He seemed to have led a very exciting life and I have vague memories of him. And would really love to find out more about him. He did keep a journal. Mom was translating his handwriting and the journal went missing - jealous brother I think. So that was lost for ever. Although I remember holding it as a child. Thick card like paper all rolled up with pencil writing on it. And he wrote that whilst on the William/S.

Hope thats more detail and it helps you and thank you for your interest.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 March 11 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Storm,
I have moved the photo over to the Armed Forces board :)

Same file name already uploaded - renamed files tried again - same result. Tried again same result lol - an hour later gave up. But thanks very much for your help on here.

Please see help topic here:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,517361.0.html

Cheers
Prue (Photo Board Moderator)