Author Topic: Brickwall - Goodge, London  (Read 3323 times)

Offline luciacw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Brickwall - Goodge, London
« on: Thursday 31 March 11 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for any information on my great grandfather Albert Goodge. He was born c1879 and died in an asylum in 1952. He married my great grandmother Amy Constance Gorbold in Prittlewell in 1914. On the marriage certificate he named his father as Alfred Goodge, tobacconist. He was working as a waiter at the time. I can't find him on any census, or any Albert Goodge I'm sure would be him. My grandfather didn't seem to know much about his father and didn't meet any of his family so no one knows much about him. I wondered if anyone on here would have any advice.

Thank you very much
Lucia
 :)
Most of my family tree covers the Highlands of Scotland, London, Hertfordshire and the Midlands of England. I work as a researcher in a military archive.

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwall - Goodge, London
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 March 11 15:03 BST (UK) »

is this your family

Goodge George 38HeadMariner Store DealerOffley, Bedfordshire 39 Langley Road Luton, Bedfordshire
" Hannah 40 Wife Sewer Hat  Leighton Buzzard                                        "
 Clara     13               Daughter  Straw Machinist    New Bradwell Buckinghamshire
  Harriet 11DaughterScholarLuton Bedfordshire
 Nelly 10   Daughter 
 Emily 8     Daughter
 Albert 2     Son   
 Maud 1M        DaughterL
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline luciacw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 March 11 15:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much :) I've had a look at that before but can't be sure whether or not that is him or not. There seem to be a few too many Albert Goodges despite it being a not very common name. I'll have to find out if this Albert Goodge would have been in the London area during the early 20th century. Been stuck on this one for 8 years so really appreciate your help on this.

- Lucia
Most of my family tree covers the Highlands of Scotland, London, Hertfordshire and the Midlands of England. I work as a researcher in a military archive.

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 March 11 15:09 BST (UK) »

is this your family

Goodge George 38HeadMariner Store DealerOffley, Bedfordshire 39 Langley Road Luton, Bedfordshire
" Hannah 40 Wife Sewer Hat  Leighton Buzzard                                        "
 Clara     13               Daughter  Straw Machinist    New Bradwell Buckinghamshire
  Harriet 11DaughterScholarLuton Bedfordshire
 Nelly 10   Daughter 
 Emily 8     Daughter
 Albert 2     Son   
 Maud 1M        DaughterL
this albert is in nottinghamshire in 1901 his occupation at this time is ;hairdresser
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline luciacw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 March 11 15:17 BST (UK) »
this albert is in nottinghamshire in 1901 his occupation at this time is ;hairdresser

Thanks Wozzle.

Just a thought - I'm not even sure of his age as ages on marriage and death certificates don't match up...My great grandmother grew up in Rotherhithe area and was living in Kensington in 1911 so hopefully there'll be an Albert near there.

- Lucia

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 March 11 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Lucia,
 Is there an address for Albert on the marriage certificate? What is his occupation?
I see there are a couple of trees on ancestry giving James William and Annie as parents which does nt tally with Alfred of course.
Cathy :)
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 March 11 15:26 BST (UK) »
IN adddition to Cathy's questions  ;D who were the witnesses to his marriage?

Don't forget that the info given on a death cert is only as good as the knowledge of the person giving that info.If he died in asylum they may not have known his exact DOB.

The age on a marriage cert is more likely to be correct,although if one of the couple was loads older than the other they did tend to economise with the truth sometimes  ;D

Have you found him in 1911 yet?

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline luciacw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 March 11 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Lucia,
 Is there an address for Albert on the marriage certificate?
I see there are a couple of trees on ancestry giving James William and Annie as parents which does nt tally with Alfred of course.
Cathy :)

Hi Cathy  :)
I'm away from home at the moment and don't have access to the certificate. I should have noted that down on my family tree programme. I think that's me on ancestry. I've tentatively got them down as parents but not sure of course.  I know Albert was living locally at the time of the wedding. I think nearby to where Amy was staying (at a guest house run by her mother and sister). I'm wondering where he had connections to and I know for instance that my grandfather and his brother were born in the Pimlico area.
Thanks
-Lucia

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 March 11 15:30 BST (UK) »
there is this think this might be the child referred to by cath51
albert william goodge son of william/annie goodge born on the 11/1/1879 baptised on the 15/5/1882 at st.pancras,camden
address at time of baptism; 71,pratt street
fathers occ; hairdresser
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn