Author Topic: George McCluskey (1812, Belfast -- 1895, Toronto, Ontario, Canada)  (Read 2667 times)

Offline Lorna.McCluskey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
George McCluskey (1812, Belfast -- 1895, Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
« on: Friday 01 April 11 16:08 BST (UK) »
George McCluskey, born in 1812, Belfast, parents unknown.  Was trained as a machinist by his father.  Married Mary Ann McClelland about 1835.  They lived on Brown Street and had two daughters before emigrating in 1839, first to York (Toronto), possibly lived briefly to the US and returned to Toronto 1851.  George and Mary Ann had eight children before Mary Ann died in Toronto about 1854 in an epidemic.
George married Mrs. Ann Ritchy (Nee Key), a widow with two children, in 1855 in Toronto.  They had nine children in Toronto.
George might have had brothers Edward, Henry and Patrick.  George died at home (Louisa Street) in 1895 in Toronto.
Willing to share the information I have acquired so far.
Matthews (Co. Down), Gregg (Co. Cavan/Monaghan), Todd (Londonderry/Antrim), Johnston (Down), McCluskey (Antrim/Ontario), Key (Ontario), Algeo (Leitrim/Ontario)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George McCluskey (1812, Belfast -- 1895, Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 April 11 16:48 BST (UK) »
To find Irish ancestors for such an early period you need to see if church records exist.
Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Lorna.McCluskey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 April 11 18:30 BST (UK) »
We had been to P.R.O.N.I years ago without any luck.  George McCluskey had converted to Primitive Methodism, but from what denomination?  We tried Church of Ireland, Presbyterian and ran out of time before trying Roman Catholic.  I haven't been back for over fifteen years.
Matthews (Co. Down), Gregg (Co. Cavan/Monaghan), Todd (Londonderry/Antrim), Johnston (Down), McCluskey (Antrim/Ontario), Key (Ontario), Algeo (Leitrim/Ontario)

Offline Lorna.McCluskey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 April 11 18:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the links.  The marriage record at PRONI didn't mention the names of George and Mary Ann's parents.  
Just getting used to the format here!   :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 April 11 18:47 BST (UK) »
Early marriage records often don't list names of either parent.

Many church records for such an early period don't survive and many of those records that do survive are not available at PRONI or online.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jwaugh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 April 11 12:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the links.  The marriage record at PRONI didn't mention the names of George and Mary Ann's parents.  
Just getting used to the format here!   :)

Hi

What Church did George and Mary marry in?

John
Stewart, Stuart, Todd, Duncan, Waugh, in Ballyclare, Ballyeaston, Rashee, Cairncastle areas of Antrim, Northern Ireland (Ireland)