Author Topic: Another McNab burial Dalbeth cemetery  (Read 6844 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Re: Another McNab burial Dalbeth cemetery
« Reply #18 on: Friday 08 April 11 15:04 BST (UK) »
To Gerry, Elaine And Sancti,

My sincere thanks to you all for your work and input re my Great Grandfather Hugh McNab. 

You have truly made my year - to now know where Hugh was buried, even though he wasn't with his family - and to have such amazing records and photos of where his familys grave is.... I just can't thank you enough!

I truly think that if it wasn't for the generosity of lots and lots of Rootschat people, I would have never found so much amazing family history and background - and in fact - certainly wouldn't have persevered at it this long!  And there is always so much more to find out and know about!.  (and what on earth would I do without my daily "fix" - perusal of the "goings on" of everyone on RC!)

Happy researching to you all!  Best wishes!
Maggs
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline Cladhan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 11:38 BST (UK) »
I'm researching memorials in Dalbeth cemetery that are inscribed with many names. Our hypothesis is that the memorials were erected by local RC churches on behalf of those too poor for standard burial. On the Bridgeton RC parish memorial, there is Hugh McNab, with the age (35) close to that of the drowned man who is the subject of this thread. The address of the drowned man is London Road, which is in the Bridgeton RC parish. The date of death inscribed on the memorial is 25 October 1883, several months before the recorded death in Greenock. Of course, the poor fellow might well have drowned in the R Clyde, which is close to his home, and taken several months to end up all the way downriver at Greenock. Was 25 October when he went missing? Can anyone give me a lead to a detailed profile of Hugh McNab? Many thanks for any help. 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 12:02 BST (UK) »
Does Hugh's death certificate not clarify that?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Cladhan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 12:43 BST (UK) »
No, the death record is not specific about date of death. It records when the drowned body was found.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 12:59 BST (UK) »
Not helpful then.

I have looked for, and failed to find, a newspaper report, either about him going missing or the body being found.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Cladhan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 13:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your effort!

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 13:20 BST (UK) »
Cladhan could I ask you if the memorials are for the common graves and where abouts in the cemetery they are located as I have various relatives buried in the common grounds at Dalbeth and would be interested to see them if possible thanks. sorry if i have way laid the subject post.
Henderson
Crawford

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Cladhan,

This sure is a blast from the past.  My original post was in 2011!!!  And over this past few years, life has overtaken me, I had got to a stage of thinking that I had "done" my tree - Haven't looked at it much.  You have raised some interesting questions, and I am very interested in the memorials... It is a bit late here in South Australia, and the old eyes are closing, so tomorrow will resurrect my info on my ancestor Hugh McNab - and will get back to you... Good to hear from "Rootschatters" again!!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline Cladhan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 13:56 BST (UK) »
Garngad, Not a common grave by usual definition, but perhaps directed by a church society - but to do with the poor (which includes underpaid working class and true paupers). To find, the best way is the what3words app, this memorial being at them.labs.ready.