Author Topic: Henry PROWSE  (Read 6328 times)

Offline Sani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Henry PROWSE
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 April 11 01:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you Janet 666 for your info.   I may have misslead you a bit, this is my family but I'm after Lydia's sister Eva Bailey who married  Henry Prowse. I can't connect him to my family as he doesn't seem to exist in the records.
Henry Prowse and Gladys Ross are my grandparents and Henry prowse b 1908 is their son and brother of my mother.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 April 11 01:45 BST (UK) »
So, you are saying HENRY PROWSE, born 1908 in TALBOT did not marry EVA BAILEY ? He is your uncle.

Is that correct?

Who did your uncle HENRY PROWSE marry?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 April 11 03:29 BST (UK) »
I am looking for Henry Prowse who marr Eva Bailey possibly in Talbot Victoria. Eva's family were in Adelaide so Henry may have been from there too.
Eva's sister ( Lydia ) went on to marry my grandfather's brother ( John )
Sani

PROWSE Lydia Ellen
Father Bailey John Black
Mother Lydia Cath  HOUSE
Place TALBOT
Age 53
Year 1941
Reg  22197
Sue

I'm after Lydia's sister Eva Bailey who married  Henry Prowse. I can't connect him to my family as he doesn't seem to exist in the records.

There are no records for a John Black BAILEY born Talbot and Lydia Catherine HOUSE born Talbot, in the marriage or birth indexes in South Australia.

They married in 1885 in Victoria and had three daughters of which the eldest Agnes Rosina died at 9 weeks of age.  The youngest daughter, Charlotte died in 1892 aged 10 months.   Lydia Ellen PROWSE nee BAILEY was born at Brunswick in 1888 Reg#930.  There are no other births to this couple of the Victorian indexes. 

This birth probably only confuses the issue but Charlotte HOUSE and Lydia Catherine HOUSE were sisters with parents William HOUSE and Charlotee ALBION.

Birth
BAILEY Eva May
Father Henry  Mother Charlotte M HOUSE
At Talbot  1893  Reg#17357

and the parents' marriage

BAILEY Henry born Talbot
HOUSE Charlotte Anne Maria born Talbot
1887  Reg#3430

Lydia Ellen BAILEY was the daughter of John Black BAILEY and Lydia Catherine HOUSE

and

Eva May BAILEY was the daughter of Henry BAILEY and Charlote Anne Maria HOUSE

There were not sisters but cousins.

I'm now confusing myself ::) ::)

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 April 11 03:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Sani,

I think Cando has hit the nail on the head.

I can see Lydia BAILEY's parents' marriage in 1885 in Victoria, and the births of three children, Agnes, Lydia, and Charl...?.  Their mother Lydia (formerley HOUSE) died in 1892 and John remarried in 1895 to Esther Ann McLAUGHLIN.  A daughter Veronica Evelyn was born in Victoria in 1895.

John Black BAILEY and Esther then moved to Western Australia where they had another three children between 1897 and 1905.  None of the children that I can see are named Eva.  John and Esther both died in WA.

John's death notice does not mention the names Eva or PROWSE.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0clg/

Lydia PROWSE's 1941 death notice says "loved cousin of Eva and Henry BAILEY of Talbot".
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0clh/

http://www.bdm.dotag.wa.gov.au/_apps/pioneersindex/default.aspx
http://www.mcb.wa.gov.au/NameSearch/search.php

Debra  :)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 April 11 04:18 BST (UK) »
I think Cando has hit the nail on the head.
Debra
...and lots of bruised fingers from the times I have missed :P

Death

BAILEY Eva May
Father Henry  Mother Charlotte HOUSE
At Maryborough  77 years  1970  Reg#17630

She is buried at Amherst Cemetery.

Cheers
Cando

Offline Sani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 00:45 BST (UK) »
 We have always been told that Eva marr a Henry Prowse but could never fit him into our family . They were living in Talbot around 1900 - 1910 and  that Eva was a sister to Lydia and Agnes who lived in Adelaide until her death. Some of Lydia and John Prowse's family would go over to her for holidays.
Henry Prowse b 1908 was my mothers brother and he marr Ruby Alice Vale from Diamond Creek , Victoria. They Lived in Portland , Camperdown and again in Portland where they died 6 weeks apart in the 1980's.       Thank you all for your trouble although it has made more confusion than answers. I think I'll ask around the family again and see if anyone can tell me more or offer more sugestions
                                Val

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 07:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Sani,
I hope you will not mind me pointing out that there is really no confusion!

The records which have been made available to you in this forum make the situation and relationships  clear.

May I venture to say, perhaps the family stories have got tangled over the years in regard to surnames ;D

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 08:05 BST (UK) »
I agree with Sue but I have spent quite a lot of time trying to sort out the families to you may as well have what I had typed up.  A bit more info for your records - if you want more electoral roll listings, just ask :)

I wonder if there is some confusion in your  mind as to whom are sisters?  Lydia and Charlotte's mother Lydia Catherine, died in 1892 and Eva May's mother Charlotte, died in 1895.  Who cared for the children?  Perhaps it was Agnes BAILEY nee McLAUGHLIN, John Black and Henrys mother?  I find it strange that Lydia wasn't mentioned in her father's death notice.

Births to John Black BAILEY and Lydia CatherineHOUSE
BAILEY Agnes Rosina at Brunswick  1886  Reg#24198  Died aged 9 weeks Brunswick Reg#11880
BAILEY Lydia Ellen  1888 at Brunswick  Reg#930
BAILEY Charlotte  1891 at Talbot-Amherst  Reg#28089   Died 1892  10 months  at Talbot Reg#8405

Births to Henry BAILEY and Charlotte Ann Maria HOUSE
BAILEY Henry 1887 at Amherst  Reg#24319
BAILEY William Albion at Talbot  Reg#25159  Died 1899  10 years at Talbot  Reg#16269
BAILEY Eva May  1893  at Talbot  Reg#17357
BAILEY Robert  1890 at Talbot-Amherst  Reg#17929  Died 2 months 1890 at Talbot N  Reg#14063

I have checked the SA Electoral Roll for 1909 and only one PROWSE enrolment and not your Eva or Henry and neither is there a death for an Eva or Henry PROWSE in South Australia.

Australian Electoral Roll
PROWSE Henry Richard  Nuggety Gully Miner
PROWSE John Charles  Nuggety Gully  Miner
PROWSE Sarah Jane Nuggety Gully HD

PROWSE Frederick William  Nuggety Gully  Talbot   Miner
PROWSE Henry Richard Nuggety Gully  Talbot  Miner
PROWSE James Robert  Nuggety Gully Talbot  No occupation
PROWSE John Charles  Nuggety Gully  Talbot  Miner
PROWSE Sarah Jane  Nuggety Gully  Talbot  HD

BAILEY Eva May  Nuggetty Gully Talbot  Home duties
BAILEY Henry  Nuggetty Gully  Talbot  Woodcutter
BAILEY Henry Jnr  Nuggetty Gully Talbot
BAILEY Lydia Ellen  Nuggetty Gully  Talbot  Home duties

1936 and 1943 minus Henry Snr.
BAILEY Eva May  Nuggetty Gully Talbot  Home duties
BAILEY Henry  Nuggetty Gully  Talbot  Woodcutter
BAILEY Henry Jnr  Nuggetty Gully Talbot

They were living in Talbot around 1900 - 1910 and  that Eva was a sister to Lydia and Agnes

The death notice for Lydia Ellen PROWSE which mentions "loved cousin of Eva and Henry BAILEY of Talbot" indicates that Eva and her brother Henry were living at Talbot as shown in the electoral roll listings above.

PROWSE Lydia E
1941  Ref#1360
Cause Suicide
Inq Date 22 Oct 1941

Val do you think it is simply that the people have been connected to the wrong family?

It appears that Lydia Ellen PROWSE nee BAILEY did not have a sister Eva, however her cousin Eva lived and died in Victoria.

Do you have your family history entered on a software program?  Printing a chart may help you understand the relationships.

The birth registration for Henry which was omitted from the births listed in an earlier post

PROWSE Henry
Father Henry Richardd  Mother Gladys Margt ROSS
At Talbot  1908  Reg#7257

Cheers :)
Cando