Author Topic: Wallasey & Seacombe  (Read 2327 times)

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Wallasey & Seacombe
« on: Monday 04 April 11 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi there, can any body help?

Does any body know if there are any Street Directories of Wallasey Cheshire & Seacombe Cheshire, that was published before 1827?

If they do exist can you advise where I can view a copy
?
Regards
Brian
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline liverbird09

• RootsChat Veteran
  • socken
    • View Profile
Re: Wallasey & Seacombe
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 April 11 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Brian, you could try Wirral library on this link:

http://www.wirral-libraries.net/services/information-and-reference

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 April 11 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Liverbird09,

I have e-mailed Wallasey library. I was hoping someone, doing their family history research had some practical experience
Regards
Brian

Offline Certacito

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 April 11 22:24 BST (UK) »
Wallasey don't hold any directories going that far back even if such things exist. Wouldn't have thought there was much around in 1827 anyway although a few years later things really took off with ship building, iron works, pottery, railways and of course the docks.

You could try emailing Birkenhead central library.  They hold a lot more information about the Wirral than Wallasey does.

Can I ask which street you are looking for?
Moreton. McKeown.

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Certacito,

Thanks for your reply. The details are as follows; I recently visited a Family History Fair and in particular the stand of the Wallasey FHS. I am interested in the surname 'Audley'. (to see what I am up to take a look at my website www.audleyfamilyhistory.com ). As is my usual practice whenever I pick up a book I look in the index for the surname 'Audley'. The book I picked up was a Wallasey FHS transcript of St Hilary's burials. And I discovered that a Bertha Audley was buried 27th May 1827,  aged 67 abode Seacombe.

I visited Birkenhead library yesterday evening and looked at the microfilm copy of the St Hilary burial register and confirmed that the transcript is correct. (the entry is very clear). They also have the Monumental Inscriptions of St Hilary's on microfiche. A quick look at the index revealed no gravestone with the surname Audley.

I was hoping that if there were street directories of Wallasey/ Seacome before 1827 I could find a second reference to the surname Audley (possibly a husband) and then I could look for a marriage.

Following a conversation with the librarian, I got the impression that whilst they do have directories before 1827 they are mainly directories of Liverpool and are unlikely to include Wallasey or Seacombe.

As I am still at work and only able to get to Birkenhead library for an hour in the evening (before they close) I thought I would try and seek advice from others who have researched in Wallasey & Seacombe.

Well you did ask 'Which street am I looking for?' The answer is no idea but I am looking for a Bertha Audley who was buried in St Hilary's 1827. Ultimately I would like to find her marriage or baptism.

Regards
Brian