Author Topic: I'm beginning a search  (Read 5501 times)

Offline dovefeld2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I'm beginning a search
« on: Tuesday 05 April 11 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone!

I'm beginning a search of my ancestors on my mother's side. With help I've had an error corrected. Can anyone help to expand my family tree further? Hope the way I post is not confusing. Here's what I have now:

My mother (Eileen Erica Leslie: b. Dec 5,1943, Chichester; d. Dec 5, 2009, Toronto, Canada).

Eileen's father (Herbert Leslie: b. Oct 24, 1902; d. Apr 3, 1973, Barrie, Canada).
Herbert's father (Thomas Leslie: b. ?; d. ?).
Herbert's mother (Sarah Connolly: b. ?; d. ?).
Herbert's brothers and sisters (Thomas, George, Charles, Verdun, Alice Elizabeth, Jane).

Eileen's  mother (Mary Duffell: b. ?; d. 1947?). 
Mary's father (Jacob Duffell: b.?; d.?).
Mary's mother (Jane Dorothy Phillips (1901 census Mar Qtr, Tynemouth Reg Dist.).
Mary's brothers (twins, Eric and ?)
Mary's mother and father were married just before the 1901 census. The couple were living with Jane's widowed father, William M Phillips, at 13 Middle Row Holywell, NBL.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I could find further info? Can I access any records free, such as the census in the 1800s? Etc.

Thanks, Sean.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: I'm beginning a search
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to rootschat  :)

For starters from http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl   (Free to search)

Marriage June qtr 1933   Tynemouth registration district ref  10b 395   

Duffell  Mary  (spouse Leslie)
Leslie  Herbert (spouse Duffell)

and Herberts birth registration
Births Dec qtr 1902  
Leslie,  Herbert     Tynemouth reg dist 10b 329

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 21:24 BST (UK) »
hi sean,
i think you are looking for too many people in one go (a mistake i made and perhaps many more researchers when they first started).

dependant upon where you live or how easily you could access london, the national archives in kew and the church of latter day saints history centre in sw london provide free access to all major sites.

freebmd.org and family search.org (lds online) are free to access online.

freebmd shows quarters, dates, ages in some circumstances and reference numbers with which you can order certificates from the government  records office, however you have to be sure that you have the right person as certificates cost £9.50 each.

familysearch is the latter day saints site, apart from dates etc they can show relationships which can help pinpoint the right direction.

you should look for marriage dates which are a great source of info. hope you haven't nodded off reading this lot, best of luck. tony
uk. beale, bateman, buss, bacon, pratt, purssell, reynolds, stamford, sumpter, sailsbury, turner, white nee phillips.
eire. carroll, connor, cronin, daly, fellowes, fitzgerald, gaynor, girvan, keogh, meade, moroney, reilly, whelan, white, winterlich.
scotland: mcavoy

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 21:52 BST (UK) »
Marriage:
Thomas Leslie=Sarah Connelly/sept.1900/Tynemouth/10b/495
Birth:
Thomas Leslie/dec.1868/Houghton/10a/418 ( a few miles from Tynemouth)
jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 22:42 BST (UK) »
The only census you can search for free is the 1881 one.

All the rest are available on subscription or pay per view basis.

Although a lot of people on Rootschat can usually help out if you pose a specific question.As Tony says,don;'t look for too many people all at once.
You'll get confused and so will we  ;D

Some census info is being transcribed and may be free here http://www.freecen.org.uk/

Runs alongside the Free BMD website.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hello and a warm welcome to RootsChat  :).

I would like to suggest that you check with your local library to see if they subscribe to Ancestry Library Edition. This would give you access to the UK Censuses from 1841 to 1901.

We cannot do lookups here for the 1911 UK Census due to copyright issues but you can search the free index for free at this link ...

http://www.1911census.co.uk/

Here is a link to help you navigate the free part of the 1911 UK Cencus from another RootsChat Board ....

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,492718.0.html

Also, be sure to take a look at the helpful hints for beginners at the top of the Beginners Board here in RootsChat

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 23:53 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Sean.

As well as the above suggestions, if you haven't already done so, you might find it easier to see where the gaps are if you pencil out a simple chart showing names, dates and places of birth etc which might clarify things.

Depending on where your research leads you, there may be additional local free resources available online. For example if your research is in Northumberland, as it appears to be, there are some additonal records such as the Bishop's Transcripts on Familysearch (free). There are also people who have access to other Northumberland records who may be able to do lookups for you.

You can ask for specific lookups on the appropriate county board or 'The Common Room' if you are unsure where to post, or your research covers several counties. It's usually recommended to request one or two related lookups per thread - that way it's less confusing. Also if you have a similar thread running always post a link to that to avoid people covering old ground.

The good news is that you already appear to have a fair amount of information and your names aren't particularly common.  :) I think a lot of your missing birth years and places will go some way to being filled when the families are located in the censuses.

Best of luck.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 00:40 BST (UK) »
I randomly selected Jacob Duffell to search. There are only two Jacob Duf*el* s on the 1881 and 1871 census - one in Northumberland and one in Surrey. So the one in Northumberland, with parents Joseph and Mary, may be yours:

New York
Murton
Joseph Duffell head mar 40 greengrocer b Northumberland Percy Main
John son 8 b Northumberland New York
Thomas 7? do
Jacob 2 do
Mary wife 30 b Durham Pittington (odd to have wife this far down the list)
Mary daur 10 months New York
Class: RG10
Piece: 5115
Folio: 128
Page: 22
From now on abbreviated to :RG10/5115/128/22

RG11/5077/102/7
Family still in New York.
Addition of son William who is 8.
Father Joseph is 52 or 57 (there is a line through the age), mother Mary is 40. Jacob is 12.

This may be Jacob's birth from Freebmd:
Births
Mar 1869   
Duffell  Jacob   
Tynemouth 
10b 163

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 01:26 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this is the right marriage?:

Marriages Jun 1863 
DUFFELL  Joseph    Newcastle T.  10b 77   
LIDDELL  Mary     Newcastle .T.  10b 77

As you're sure to get odd bits of information from various people because your request covers so many people, it might make it easier to get your head around everything, if you draw up a tree and add new finds to it. (as I've done, so I know where I am with your tree ...  ;))